According to its bylaws, "The Academic Senate shall be the voice of the academic community of Queensborough Community College of The City University of New York in all matters which shall appropriately be brought before it, including:
- Educational objectives of the College.
- The formulation of the policy relating to the admission and retention of students, subject to the guidelines of the Board of Trustees, curriculum, awarding of College credits, and granting of degrees. In granting of degrees, student members of the Senate shall not vote.
- Extracurricular programs: athletics and cultural, fine and performing arts.
- The establishment and location of new units of the College.
- The periodic review of all departments of the College with the power to recommend to the Board of Trustees the creation, deletion, or restructuring of departments of the College.
- The recommendation of search and evaluation procedures.
- And such other areas affecting the welfare of the institution.
“Regular meetings of the Academic Senate shall be held on the second Tuesday of each month unless that date falls on a period of recess. Should the date set for a regular meeting be a holiday, the meeting shall be held on the Tuesday immediately following.”