Port of Entry English Language Development Program (POE)
About the Port of Entry Program
Science Building, Room 108, 718-281-5410 Fax 718-281-5069
The Port of Entry Program was established in 1980 as a unique intensive language development program designed to provide international students and new immigrants with the language skills, knowledge, and experience necessary to succeed in higher education and professional careers in the United States. Students actively participate in the mastering of language skill and are taught by experienced faculty specializing in teaching English as a Second Language and using modern techniques and the latest material.
The Port of Entry Program is offered three times each year - in the fall, spring and summer. Classes are held on campus in Bayside and at the Flushing site, 39-07 Prince Street, Second Floor, Flushing, NY 11354. In addition to the regular day program, a non-intensive and flexible-hour program is offered to suit the needs of those who have limited time to study English because of work or family.
Intensive Full-time Day Program
The intensive program consists of
- a total of 198 hours a semester (4.5 hours a day, 18 hours a week for 11 weeks)
- day classes - Monday to Thursday, morning and afternoon sessions
- different levels of instruction, including intensive TOEFL preparation
- intensive practice in writing, reading, grammar, speaking, and listening skills
- I-20 forms issued to qualified overseas students to apply for student visa to study abroad
- academic, college admission, and immigration counseling and cultural activities
- students who successfully complete and pass the TOEFL class will be granted a "TOEFL waiver" for admission to Queensborough Community College.
- How to register: opens in a new window, English, Español opens in a new window or (PDF documents)
All attachments on this page are in PDF format and require a PDF reader to open and view. If you need a PDF reader, Adobe provides Acrobat Reader as a free download. Click the image below to download Acrobat Reader.