AWS Solutions Architect Preparation and Cloud Security Essentials
Queensborough Community College's Office of Continuing Education & Workforce Development invites you to learn the basics in cloud computing, enhance your technical skills and train for one of the most sought after certifications in the field today - for FREE!
Course Dates: April 20 - June 12, 2020 45 Hour Online Course + Independent Work
- Interest in pursuing a career in Systems Administration,
- Cloud / Cybersecurity
- 1+ year IT work experience or equivalent IT focused coursework strongly preferred
- Candidates with CompTIA and/or Cisco certifications encouraged to apply
- U.S. citizen or authorized to work in the U.S.
- Women, youth and U.S. Veterans strongly encouraged to apply
- Unemployed or underemployed
Preferred Computer Requirements
- PC or Mac
- 8GB RAM
- Intel i3 Processor
- 100 GB Hard Drive
- High Speed Internet (Cable/FIOS)
- Eligible students can earn a $75 voucher toward the AWS exam fee
Who can apply for this program?
All are welcome to apply! Our main recommendation is that you should have an interest in learning about cloud computing and cybersecurity.
What are the possible outcomes upon program completion?
- Certificate of Completion from Queensborough Community College, Office of Continuing Education & Workfoce Development
- AWS Cloud Practitioner Certification
- AWS Solutions Architect Certification
What is the AWS Certified Cloud Practioner Exam?
The AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner examination is intended for individuals who have the knowledge and skills necessary to effectively demonstrate an overall understanding of the AWS Cloud, independent of specific technical roles addressed by other AWS Certifications. The exam can be taken at a testing center or from the comfort and convenience of a home or office location as an online proctored exam. Becoming an AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner is a recommended, optional step toward achieving an Associate-level or Specialty certification. After completing this course, you will be prepared to take this exam.
What is the AWS Certified Solutions Architect Exam?
The AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional exam is intended for individuals who perform a solutions architect role with two or more years of hands-on experience managing and operating systems on AWS. Abilities validated by the Certification:
- Design and deploy dynamically scalable, highly available, fault-tolerant, and reliable applications on AWS
- Select appropriate AWS services to design and deploy an application based on given requirements
- Migrate complex, multi-tier applications on AWS
- Design and deploy enterprise-wide scalable operations on AWS
- Implement cost-control strategies
After completing this course, you will be prepared to take this exam.
I am a teacher and wish to know if this program will have applications for my own classroom?
Yes! Anything learned in this course can be applied to the grade level you teach and included in your curriculum. AWS provides many free resources to educators (listed below) which can help you teach what you have learned to your students!
What are some free resources from AWS that can be utilized in conjunction with this training and certification?
AWS Academy - https://aws.amazon.com/training/awsacademy/
AWS Educate - https://aws.amazon.com/education/awseducate/
Will you have an orientation to go over the logistics and expectations for this program?
Yes, we are planning to have an orientation on April 15, 2020 from 1pm-2pm via Webex. When you apply for the course, you will sent the information to join this orientation online.
Do you recommend any other free training to prepare me for this course?
Yes! We recommend (not mandatory) you to complete the following CEWD courses or training modules in order to be able to apply for the AWS Solutions Architect Preparation and Cloud / Security Essentials Certificate Program:
- Code Academy - Make A Website - (https://www.codecademy.com/learn/make-a-website)
- Angular Overview - (https://codelab.fun/)
- AWS Cloud Practitioner Essentials (Second Edition) - https://aws.amazon.com/training/course-descriptions/cloudpractitioner-essentials/
Advanced Work - Establish an AWS account and in the Free Tier of the account complete the following:
- Build a serverless Web Application (https://aws.amazon.com/serverless/build-a-web-app/)
- Complete the following tutorial in AWS CodeStar using Ruby on Rails & Elastic Beanstalk: https://guides.rubyonrails.org/v5.0/getting_started.html
This program is being developed at Queensborough Community College - CUNY with funding provided by a grant under the Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act administered by the New York State Education Department.
Questions? Contact Lori Conkling at firstname.lastname@example.org