Queensborough Community College Video Surveillance Procedure
This procedure applies to all Queensborough Community College (QCC) students, faculty, staff, and visitors to campus in their use of video equipment for the purpose of surveillance on or in any College grounds, facilities, and spaces and/or during the course of College-sponsored activities.
This procedure does not apply to video used by or for:
- Non-surveillance purposes. Examples of non-surveillance video recordings include, but are not limited to, video recordings made for:
- instructional, academic, or artistic purposes,
- capturing public events and performances,
- recording promotional or news events,
- video conferencing,
- The (QCC) Public Safety Department (PS) is authorized to utilize video surveillance as necessary to fulfill their mission and responsibilities as a law enforcement agency.
- Queensborough Community College is committed to protecting the safety and property of our community by promoting a secure campus environment while avoiding unnecessary intrusions. This procedure is intended to assure the appropriate use of video surveillance for reasons of safety, security, and stewardship of people and resources and provide transparency in the use of that technology/equipment.
- Video surveillance will be used in a professional and ethical manner in accordance with The City University of New York (CUNY) policies and local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- The Vice President of Finance & Administration is responsible to monitor the application of this procedure to new and existing uses of video surveillance; to create operational procedures related to the approval of requests, retention of and access to video surveillance footage, use of signage; and to provide for timely reviews of this procedure.
- The purchase and installation of all video surveillance equipment and systems must be approved by the Vice President for Finance & Administration or the Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer.
- Confidentiality statements. All College faculty, staff, and students with access to video surveillance systems are required to sign a confidentiality statement.
- External releases of footage.
- All public records requests, including requests for the release of video surveillance footage, should be submitted for review to the QCC Legal Designee and approved by the VP for Finance & Administration, the Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer or the College President.
- For any other external release, prior written authorization must be obtained from the VP for Finance & Administration, the Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer or the College President.
Responsibility/Authority for Control
- The Vice President for Finance and Administration is responsible for and will maintain oversight for the appropriate use of video surveillance consistent with this procedure.
- PS shall be given access to video surveillance equipment and footage upon demand when necessary to fulfill their mission and responsibilities as a law enforcement agency.
- Review of video surveillance footage by college personnel who do not have access as a part of their job responsibilities for a specific use must be approved in writing by the Vice President for Finance & Administration or the Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. Any such distribution will be for legitimate College purposes and subject to applicable regulations and/or College procedure.
- The location of all existing video surveillance equipment not under the control of the PS Department must be provided to the Director of Public Safety annually, who will maintain a master database of all installations. All new installations must be reported upon activation.
Violations of this procedure may result in the following:
- Resolution in accordance with applicable College policies and procedures, which may include disciplinary action.