Dr. Shannon Kincaid's Curriculum Vitae
State University of New York, College at Cortland. Cortland, NY.
1991-1994. BA, Philosophy,summa cum laude, June 1994.
Senior Thesis Advisor: Dr. John Ryder
State University of New York at Buffalo. Buffalo, NY.
1994-1999 Ph.D., Philosophy, June 10, 1999
Committee Chair:Dr. Peter Hare
Dissertation:Democracy and Culture
Areas of Specialization: Moral and Political Philosophy, American Pragmatism
Areas of Competence: History of Philosophy, Philosophy of Education, Critical Thinking, Legal Philosophy, Aesthetics, and Applied Ethics (including Business Ethics & Bioethics)
Honors and Awards:
- Milton Meyeroff Award for Distinction in Philosophy, 1994.
- Romanell Fellowship (State University of New York at Buffalo), 1998-1999.
- University at Buffalo Excellence in Teaching Award, 1999.
- "Nationalism, Ideology, and Democracy:Democratic Reconstruction and Post-Totalitarian Eastern Europe."Democracy and the Post-Totalitarian Experience.Beth Singer and Leszek Koczanowicz (eds.).Atlanta: Rodopi Press.16 pp. mss, in press.
- "Book Review:Judith Green's Deep Democracy." The Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society. Summer 2002, Vol. XXXVII, No. 3.pp. 138-142
- The Evolution of Energy Conservation."With Lewis Kwit. Strategic Planning for Energy and The Environment. Vol. 20, No. 2 (2000) pp. 6-26
- Energy/Environment Conservation:What's Next?"With Lewis Kwit.Strategic Planning for Energy and The Environment. Vol. 20, No. 3 (2001) pp. 31-50
- Book Review: Anderson and Hart (eds.), Philosophy in Experience:American Philosophy in Transition." The Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society. Winter 1998, Vol. XXXIV, No. 1.284-294. In Circulation:"Lewis Mumford's Pragmatic Urbanism."
- "The Metaphysics of Democracy I:Pluralism and Taylor's Social Ontology."
- Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy, 23rd Annual Conference. March 9, 1996. University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont., Canada.
- Taylor's Holistic Social Ontology."Graduate Philosophy Association Conference. March 12, 1996.SUNY at Buffalo, Buffalo NY.
- "The Metaphysics of Democracy II:Beyond Taylor's Holistic Social Ontology."Metaphysical Society of America, 47th Annual Meeting. March 15, 1996.Fordham University at Lincoln Center, New York, NY.
- The Pedagogy of Pluralism."(session organizer) with Dr. Barry Smith and Dr. Peter Hare. E Pluribus Unum:A Multidisciplinary Conference on Diversity in the American Academy.April 22, 1996.State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY.
- The Role of the Ethics Committee in Long Term Care," with Jason Adsit.The Ethics Committee of Presbyterian Homes of Western New York, Inaugural Meeting. May 15,1997. Buffalo, NY.
- Ethics and Long-Term Care:A Workshop," with Jason Adsit.The W.N.Y.Association of Homes and Services for the Aged. June 18, 1997. Buffalo, NY.
- Commentary on Krueger's 'Contextualizing our Everyday Practices of Justification and Blame.'"The Sixth Annual Buffalo GPA Conference.May 6-7, 1998.
Buffalo, New York.
- Democracy, Ideology, and Nationalism."Democracy and the Post-Totalitarian Experience. May 27-30, 1998."SAAP Conference Series on Democracy and Eastern Europe." Karpacz, Poland.
- Commentary: 'Evolution, Suffering, and Divine Action in Process Theism:A Critique' (Andrei Buckareff - Texas A&M)."The Seventh Annual Buffalo GPA Conference. March 15, 1999. Buffalo, New York.
- Selling Philosophy (Out?):The `New Economy` and the Public Role of Philosophy."
Brooklyn College Philosophy Society. April 12, 2000.
- Session Chair.The Future of Realism and Pragmatic Naturalism:A Conference in Honor of P.H. Hare. October 20 and 21, 2000. Buffalo, New York.
- Democratic Ideals and the Urban Experience."Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy, 26th Annual Meeting. March 5-7, 2001.Las Vegas, NV.
- Pragmatism, Technology, and Lewis Mumford."Pragmatism and Technological Practice. February 14, 2003.Rochester Institute of Technology.
Membership in Professional Organizations:
- Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy
- American Philosophical Association
- Sustaining Member, Charles S. Peirce Society
- American Association of University Professors
Academic Appointments and Teaching Experience:
- Queensborough Community College / City University of New York
September, 2003-Present: Assistant Professor, Philosophy & Ethics
- Laboratory Institute of Merchandising
September, 2002-Summer, 2003:
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Ethics in Society, Philosophy of Beauty (Aesthetics), Philosophy
- Brooklyn College / City University of New York
1999- 2002: Visiting Assistant Professor, Social Philosophy, Political Theory, Moral Issues in Business, Virtue Ethics, American Philosophy, Core Studies 10 (Knowledge, Existence, and Values), Philosophy of Education, Ethics and Society, and 2 independent study courses on political theory.
- Concordia College
1999: Adjunct Assistant Professor, "Corporate Ethics"
- State University of New York, College at Brockport
1998: Adjunct Lecturer, Introduction to Ethics
- State University of New York at Buffalo
1996-1999: Instructor/Lecturer, Social and Ethical Values in Medicine, World Civilizations, World Civilizations II, American Pluralism.
- Vice-President, Graduate Philosophical Association,
State University of New York at Buffalo.1995-1996.
- Philosophical Consultant, EIS. 279 East 57th Street, New York, NY.
September 1999-December 2001.
- Philosophical Consultant, Renfroe Engineering.September 2001-present.
- Awards and Scholarships Committee, Brooklyn College.Sept. 2001-June 2002
- Faculty Advisor, Brooklyn College Philosophy Society.September 2000-June 2002.
- Faculty Advisor, Laboratory Institute of Merchandising.September 2002, present.