Liberal Arts and Sciences - Associate in Arts degree (AA) - Health and Behavior
Health and Behavior is a multidisciplinary concentration for students to learn how to help individuals and communities realize their full potential, make informed health decisions and attain their best possible quality of life. Students will learn the behavioral factors that affect human health and the role of behavioral theory, research and practice in the promotion of health and well-being.
This LA1 degree program with a concentration in Health and Behavior will prepare students to pursue further studies in health education, community health and other health-related programs which are offered at several CUNY senior colleges and other universities, such as York, Lehman, Hunter, Adelphi, Hofstra and SUNY Old Westbury. In terms of career opportunities, CUNY’s 2012 “Jobs for New York’s Future” states, “…industry experts anticipate shortages for particular occupations, including…health educators.” There will be a growing need for health educators, including those experienced in addictions, mental health and stress management.
To complete a concentration in Health and Behavior, students must complete the major requirements below:
- Two Foreign Language courses (two sequential courses are required, level and sequence to be determined by department placement)
- HI-110 or HI-111 or HI-112 (if already taken in common core, one course from HI-100 series is required; if two History courses have been taken in common core, one additional course from PSYC-125 Psychology of Personal Adjustment, SOCY-290 Sociology of Health and Medicine or ANTH-160 Anthropology of Health and Healing is required)
- SP-211 (if already taken in common core, one course from HI-100 series is required; if two History courses have been taken in common core, one additional course from PSYC-125, SOCY-290 or ANTH-160 is required)
- One English course from EN-200, EN-300 or EN-400 series
- One science laboratory course (students who take STEM variant in common core have satisfied this requirement)
- HE-107 Mental Health: Understanding Your Behavior (3 cr.)
- HE-104 Addictions and Dependencies (3 cr.)
- HE-111 Stress Management, (3 cr.)
- HE 105 Human Sexuality (3cr.)
- IS 151 Health of the Nation, (2cr.)
Health and Behavior Coordinator
Dr. Andrea Salis