SOCY-185 : Introduction to Social Work
Course, prefix, number, & title: SOCY-185 Introduction to Social Work
Hours (Class, recitation, Laboratory, studio): 3 class hours, Offered as needed
Pre-requisites (if any): (or Co-requisite:) Students must complete any developmental requirements in English (see Proficiency in Math and English) prior to taking this course or enroll in ENGL-101 and BE-102 at the same time as this course
Course Description in college catalog:
This course introduces students to the field of social work. The emphasis is on fundamental principles and values in a historical perspective. Students will gain an appreciation of social work services and the basic competencies needed to pursue a career in social work.
Academic programs for which this course serves as a requirement or an elective:
General Education Outcomes: Below is a listing of General Education Outcome(s) that this course supports.
Reason quantitatively as required in various fields of interest and in everyday life
Course-specific student learning outcomes:
1. Students will read materials related to social work principles and practices effectively.
2. Students will critically evaluate different theories and concepts in social welfare history and policies.
3. Students will draw conclusions from reviewing research on applied topics in social work.
4. Students will apply the principles and values of social work to real-life events.
5. Students will recognize the extent to which a culture’s structures and values may oppress, marginalize, alienate, or create or enhance privilege and power
6. Students will recognize and communicate an understanding of the importance of difference in shaping life experiences
7. Students will understand the mechanisms of oppression and discriminationStudents will apply knowledge of human behavior and the social environment by critiquing and applying knowledge to understand person and environment
Other program outcomes (if applicable).
Make ethical judgments while recognizing multiple perspectives, as appropriate in the program of study
Methods by which student learning will be assessed and evaluated; describe the types of methods to be employed; note whether certain methods are required for all sections:All sections of this class will include exercises involving reading comprehension and critical thinking skills development. A variety of assessment methods are employed in individual sections, including but not limited to the following: objective tests, essay examinations, essay assignments, research projects, oral presentations, and group projects.
Academic Integrity policy (department or College):
Academic honesty is expected of all students. Any violation of academic integrity is taken extremely seriously. All assignments and projects must be the original work of the student or teammates. Plagiarism will not be tolerated. Any questions regarding academic integrity should be brought to the attention of the instructor. The following is the Queensborough Community College Policy on Academic Integrity: "It is the official policy of the College that all acts or attempted acts that are violations of Academic Integrity be reported to the Office of Student Affairs. At the faculty member's discretion and with the concurrence of the student or students involved, some cases though reported to the Office of Student Affairs may be resolved within the confines of the course and department. The instructor has the authority to adjust the offender's grade as deemed appropriate, including assigning an F to the assignment or exercise or, in more serious cases, an F to the student for the entire course." Read the University's policy on Academic Integrity opens in a new window(PDF).
Any student who feels that he or she may need an accommodation based upon the impact of a disability should contact the office of Services for Students with Disabilities in Science Building, Room S-132, 718-631-6257, to coordinate reasonable accommodations for students with documented disabilities. You can visit the Services for Students with Disabilities website.