Unit IV - Rights and Responsibilities of Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities at Queensborough Community College have the right to:
- Equal access to courses, programs services and activities offered at the college.
- An equal opportunity to learn and to receive reasonable accommodations, academic adjustments and services.
- Choose whether they wish to self-disclose and/or request accommodations.
- All other rights and privileges available to other students at Queensborough Community College.
Students with disabilities at Queensborough Community College have the responsibility to:
- Meet qualifications and maintain essential institutional standards for courses, programs and activities.
- Demonstrate and/or provide documentation (from an appropriate professional) on how the disability limits participation in courses, programs, services and activities.
- Follow and abide by the college’s procedures for obtaining accommodations, academic adjustments and/ or other services.
- Provide their own personal aide(s) to help with bathing, dressing, other personal care, navigating the campus, or after class studies.
The office of Services for Students with Disabilities has the right to:
- Request and receive current documentation that supports request for documentation, academic adjustments and/or auxiliary aids and services.
- Deny a request for accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services if the documentation demonstrates that the request is not warranted or if the student fails to provide appropriate documentation.
- Select among equally effective accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids and services.
- Refuse an unreasonable accommodation, adjustment, and/or auxiliary aid or service that imposes a fundamental alteration of a college program or activity.
The office of Services for Students with Disabilities has the responsibility to:
- Provide information to students with disabilities in accessible format upon request.
- Ensure that courses, programs, services, activities and facilities are available and usable in the most integrated and appropriate settings.
- Review requests for accommodations to determine eligibility for services and the nature of accommodations
- Provide or arrange for reasonable accommodations, academic adjustments and auxiliary aids or services.
- Maintain appropriate confidentiality of records and communications except where permitted of required by law or when the student requests that such information be shared.
- Serve as a liaison between students and faculty.
- Serve as a resource on disability issues for the Queensborough Community College campus community.
Faculty members have the right to:
- Establish and maintain standards for courses and academic programs.
- Provide the approved accommodations independently of the SSD lab.
- Request assistance and resources from the office of Services for Students with Disabilities
Faculty members are responsible for:
- Fostering an accessible learning environment to all learners
- Working with the student and the office of Services for Students with Disabilities to ensure the provision of reasonable accommodations.
- Addressing concerns about disability accommodations with the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities.