Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I see on my campus about resources for student veterans?

The Office of Military and Veterans Services is here to assist you with your transition to Queensborough. If you have any questions/concerns about any part of the application, registration, or benefit/aid process please contact Veterans Services at (718) 281-5767.

What is considered full time enrollment at Queensborough Community College?

During the Fall and Spring semesters, full time enrollment equals a minimum of 12 credits. Although remedial courses have 0 credits, they do have equated credits, which are counted toward full time enrollment. Course options and credits are reviewed during your Academic Advisement appointment. Students must be enrolled in courses that are required toward their curriculum in order to receive benefits.

What happens if I drop or withdraw from a course during the semester?

If you drop or withdraw from a course during the semester, you must notify the Certifying Officials so that they can inform the VA of the changes. Failure to notify the Certifying Officials in a timely manner could result in an overpayment by the VA and reimbursement by the student.

I have registered for courses and am now waiting for my benefits to be processed. How do I prevent my courses from being dropped while waiting?

Student veterans must receive a Tuition Deferment in order to prevent courses from being dropped while awaiting benefits. To obtain a Tuition Deferment, please contact the Certifying Officials on campus.

There seems to be a discrepancy with my bill. Who do I contact on campus to ask about this?

All questions or concerns regarding your bill should be directed to the Office of the Bursar, located in the Administration Building, Rm. 118.

How do I know if I am taking courses that are required in my major/curriculum?

Students will be notified via Tigermail each semester regarding scheduling an appointment for advisement with Office of Military and Veterans Services. When you meet with the Office of Military and Veterans Services here at QCC, they will assist you with choosing courses that are required in your curriculum.

Is it possible to attain college credit for military service?

Please visit the following link for additional information:

Are VA educational benefits taxable?

No, veteran's benefits, paid under any law and administered by the VA should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

What happens if I am activated during the semester?

If you are activated during a semester, you have a number of options open to you depending upon the length of the deployment. For more information see:

If I am a member of the New York State Air/Army National Guard or New York State Naval Militia and wish to participate in the Educational Incentive Plan that pays for my tuition at any CUNY college, do I apply at a college office?

No, you must apply through your unit for the New York State Educational Incentive Plan using DMNA Form 96-1. You can then obtain a Tuition Deferment, and must inform the bursar that the NYS Department of Military & Naval Affairs will be making payments.

Are all dependents of veterans eligible to receive educational benefits?

No, only dependents who are eligible may be considered for benefits. Eligibility questions should be directed to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs by calling 888-GI-Bill-1.

Are any services available to veterans with disabilities?

Reasonable accommodations and support services are available to veterans with disabilities through QCC’s Services for Students with Disabilities. This office is located in the Science Building, Rm. 132 and can be reached by calling 718-631-6257.

I have additional questions. Where may I go to ask them?

You may call, email or visit the Office of Military and Veterans Services here at QCC with any questions or concerns that you may have. The the Office of Military and Veterans Services here at QCC is located in the Library, Room 421. If unable to visit our offices, you may call 718-281-5767 or you may submit a question on our website by clicking on Contact Us.

Campus Cultural Centers

image description
Kupferberg Holocaust Resource Center and Archives

Using the lessons of the Holocaust to educate current and future generations about the ramifications of unbridled prejudice, racism and stereotyping.

image description
QPAC: Performing Arts Center

QPAC is an invaluable entertainment company in this region with a growing national reputation. The arts at QPAC continues to play a vital role in transforming lives and building stronger communities.

image description
QCC Art Gallery

The QCC Art Gallery of the City University of New York is a vital educational and cultural resource for Queensborough Community College, the Borough of Queens and the surrounding communities.