Faculty Executive Committee - Academic Freedom Committee
|Faculty members-at-large:||FEC members:|
Julian Stark, Chairperson (2018-2021)
Edmund Clingan (2017-2020)
Charge: set in the Bylaws of the Faculty of Queensborough Community College –see below
Protocol: If members of the QCC Faculty believe that there is an issue involving Academic Freedom or a violation of the faculty right to Academic Freedom then they should report their concerns to the chairperson of the Academic Freedom Committee. The Committee will review the report and take action as it deems appropriate. As needed reports are made to the entire faculty and summary reports are made to the Faculty each Spring.
12.1 Recognizing that Academic Freedom and Academic Due Process are both essential in the governance of institutions of higher education, the Faculty Executive Committee, in accordance with section 5.3f of the Bylaws of the Faculty hereby recommends the establishment of the Standing Committee on Academic Freedom.
12.2 The Committee shall12.3 Membership
- 12.2a Address issues of academic freedom through the colleges' existing channels of communication and governance structure.
- 12.2b Provide information and guidance to the faculty concerning their rights, responsibilities, and recourse concerning violations of academic freedom.
- 12.2c Hear faculty concerns regarding issues of academic freedom. Recommendations made by the Committee shall be forwarded to the Chairperson of the Faculty Executive Committee, who will then refer them to the College's appropriate parties.
- 12.2d Monitor, examine, and report on the status of academic freedom at the College on an annual basis at the Spring General Faculty Meeting.
- 12.2e Meet at least once each semester.
The membership shall consist of the following: nine (9) members, six (6) of who are members of the Faculty Executive Committee sans chairperson and three (3) faculty members-at-large. The chairperson for this committee shall be elected by its members.
12.4 Election of the Members of the Academic Freedom Committee
- 12.4a Three (3) faculty members-at-large shall be elected by the Faculty in September to serve for a period of 3 years in a faculty wide election. All persons who hold faculty rank or faculty status (Article IIA) and who do not hold administrative positions shall be eligible to vote or serve. No more than one member of any department shall be elected to serve on the committee.
- 12.4b The election shall be conducted by the Faculty Executive Committee.
- 12.4c Nominations shall be made by petition signed by at least twenty-five (25) members of the Faculty eligible to vote.
- 12.4d Election shall be by written ballot.
- 12.4e The three (3) individuals receiving the highest number of votes shall be declared elected members of the Academic Freedom Committee. (A tie shall be resolved by a run-off election.)