College Now is offering two exciting programs for Summer 2013! Introduction to Robotics and Summer Theatre Production!
Introduction to Robotics
July 1 to August 5, 2013
Monday through Thursday
9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Four (4) college credits upon successful completion.
This program is designed to introduce students to robotics within a hands-on four (4) college credit course, ET 375 (Introduction to Robotics), to robotic construction, programming, operation, and basic design theory. Throughout the summer, students will work in teams to design, construct, and program autonomous mobile robots by learning and using the C Programming Language within the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Robotics System. Robotics projects will include behaviors such as line-following, random roaming with obstacle avoidance using IR senors and ultrasonic range finding sensors, and rotate until a path is clear using the data from the ultrasonic range finders.
Metrocards and lunch vouchers will be provided.
- Be a New York City public high school student, entering 11th or 12th grade in September 2013
- A score of between 65 and 79 on the Algebra I or Geometry Regents-- no greater than 79 on any Math Regents
- Teacher recommendations should be based on GPA, attendance, and motivation.
The Summer Program is open to rising juniors and seniors. Students coming from Queensborough Community College partner schools will be given priority, but sophomores and eligible students from other public schools may attend if space permits.
Summer Theater Production Workshop
July 1 – July 28, 2013
Monday through Friday
9:00 AM to 3:00 PM (weeks 1 through 3)
11:30 am to 5:30 PM (week 4)
Saturday, July 27 10 am to 6 pm
Final Performance on July 28 at 2 PM (Students will be at the theatre from noon to 4 pm)
Three college credits upon successful completion.
Open Call: Looking for aspiring and would-be actors, costumers, makeup artists, set designers, and other theatre hopefuls to hone their craft and mount a fully-staged production (for college credit) at Queensborough Community College's Summer Theater Production Workshop. Students will create a full-stage interpretation and production of scenes from The Odyssey for a live audience in QCC's Performing Arts Center. Program will implement enhancements to provide a more comprehensive theatre experience including a guest speaker/professional actor as well as an off-Broadway show.
Metrocards and lunch vouchers provided.
- Be a New York City public high school student, entering 10th, 11th or 12th grade in September 2013
- Have a minimum score of 65 on the English Language Arts (ELA) Regents exam OR an overall high school GPA of 70 or above
- Students coming from Queensborough Community College partner schools will be given priority, but eligible students from other public schools may attend if space permits. Additionally, preference will be given to students entering their junior and senior years and spots will be offered to sophomores as space permits.
Parental Consent Form
Return Completed and signed forms and a high school transcript to:
Queensborough Community College
222-05 56th Avenue, Room L116
Bayside, New York 11364