Candidates for Election to the Academic Senate
Most of the positions (73) in the Academic Senate (79) are occupied by people who are elected.
- Department Chairpersons (18) are in the Senate and are elected by their departments following the bylaws of the faculty.
- Faculty-at-Large (41) elected by their fellow faculty.
- College Laboratory Technicians-CLT (2) elected by all full time CLTs.
- Higher Education Officers-HEO (2) elected by all full time HEOs.
- Adjuncts (1) elected by all adjuncts
- Alumni (1) elected by the QCC alumni Association
- Student Government Representatives (8) – elected by the student body
Candidates for membership in the Academic Senate must understand that the meetings of the Senate are on Tuesday afternoons and they need to be available to attend these meetings. All members are needed to attend in order to meet the requirements of the Open Meetings Law of New York State as imposed on all CUNY governing bodies by a court decision.
All members of the Academic Senate are not only expected to attend but to participate in the voting process on all matters. If anyone is reluctant to have a record of how they vote they should not make themselves candidates for election. All elected members of the Academic Senate who attend its meetings will have their voting record made public as required by the law. Failure to vote is to abstain and will so be noted in the minutes.