Chemical Safety Training Documents - EHS
The posted materials are for NYC Fire Department Certification. A wealth of reading material should be consulted first. These materials are described "Documents," "On-line textbook" and "Additional Reading Materials." When you have gained sufficient flexibility with this material, you may email me for the quizzes. Return the quizzes, by email, at your convenience. Only valid Queensborough email addresses will be responded to. When you have achieved a reasonable score on these quizzes, we will arrange for you to take the Certification Exam.
These reports are in PDF format and will require Acrobat Reader or equivalent to view.
Online text book: Prudent Practices in the Laboratory
Chemical Hygiene Plan (PDF)
Hazardous Waste Plan (PDF)
Fire Department Certificate of Fitness Materials:
C14 Overview and memo (PDF)
FDNY CoF Application (PDF)
C14 Study Material (PDF)
Memorandum of Understanding (PDF)
C14 Requirements and Notice of Exam (PDF)
Affidavit A (PDF)
NFPA 45 (2004) Study Materials (PDF)
Additional Reading Materials
- Overview of the Website: Summary of "Prudent Practices," p. 1-13
- Summary 1 (PDF)
- Chapter 1 - "Prudent Practices...," p. 13-20. The readings describe the new culture of safety.
- This material covers prudent planning of experiments.
- Summary 3 (PDF)
- Chapter 2 in "Prudent Practices...," p. 21-28
- Week 3, Paper 1 (PDF) - How are We Exposed to Chemicals by George Wahl
- This material is an introduction to toxicology and evaluating hazards and assessing risks in the lab.
- This material is a continuationof evaluating chemical hazards and assessing risks.
- This material covers working with laboratory equipment.
- Summary 6 (PDF)
- Read Prudent Practices, p57-61, 109-131
- Read Safety in Academic Labs, p26-31
- This material covers management of chemicals and working with chemicals
- Summary 7 (PDF)
- Read: Prudent Practices Ch 4 p. 67-77; Ch 5 p. 81-105
- Safety in Academic Labs – Vol. 1, p. 6-9
- This material covers management of chemicals.
- Read Prudent Practices in the Laboratory – p.64-7
- Read “Origins, Current Status and Future Challenges of Green Chemistry,” by Anastas and Kirchhoff
- Read “Green Chemistry A powerful approach to pollution prevention, waste minimization and hazard reduction.”
- Summary 8 (PDF)
- Read: Week 9a, paper 1 (PDF)
- Read: Week 9b, paper 2 (PDF)
- This material covers disposal of waste
- This material reviews laboratory facilities and working with laboratory equipment.
- This material covers government regulation of laboratories
- Summary 11 (PDF)
- Read – Prudent Practices Chapter 9 – Governmental Regulations of Laboratories
- Read Paper 9: “How Can I Prevent Laboratory Accidents?” by Kathy Benedict