Title: Assistant Professor
- 2009-2013, Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Columbia University
- 2004-2009, Ph.D in Organic Chemistry, Columbia University
- 2000-2004, B.S. in Chemistry, University of Science and Technology of China(USTC)
- CH-127 Introductory College Chemistry Lecture and Lab
- CH-128 Introductory Organic Chemistry Lab
- CH-251 Organic Chemistry I Lecture and Lab
Our group tackles interesting problems at the interface of organic chemistry and materials science by employing the toolbox of synthetic and physical organic chemistry. Currently, our lab focuses on three major areas: 1) revising synthesis of traditional conjugated chromophores via new but reliable synthetic methodology, and applying findings into develop new precursors and semiconducting polymers; 2) synthesis and characterization of novel polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) materials, and their application into Organic Field-Effect Transistors (OFET) and Organic Photovoltaics (OPV); 3) development of novel small molecules and study their conductance by Scanning Tunneling Microscope (STM) Break Junction Technology.
- Xia, J.; Capozzi, B.; Wei, S.; Strange, M.; Batra, A.; Moreno, J. R.; Amir, R. J.; Amir, E.; Solomon, G. S.; Venkatarman, L.; Campos, L. M. “Breakdown of Interference Rules in Azulene, a Non-Alternant Hydrocarbon.” Nano Letters, 2014, 14, 2941-2945. Technology Update in NanoTechWeb.org, and Research Highlights in Nature Nanotechnology.
- Wei, S.; Xia, J.; Dell, E. J.; Jiang, Y.; Song, R.; Lee, H.; Rodenbough, P.; Briseno, A. L.; Campos, L. M. “Bandgap Engineering through Efficient Oxidation of Polythiophenes.” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2014, 53, 1832-1836. Highlighted as Journal Cover.
- Chiu, C.-Y.; Kim, B.; Gorodetsky, A. A.; Sattler, W.; Wei, S.; Sattler, A.; Steigerwald, M. L.; Nuckolls, C. P. “Shape-Shifting in Contorted Dibenzotetrathienocoronenes”, Chemical Science, 2011, 2(8), 1480-1486.
- Loo, Y.; Hiszpanski, A. M.; Kim, B.; Wei, S.; Chiu, C.-Y.; Steigerwald, M. L.; Nuckolls, C. P. “Unusual Molecular Conformations in Fluorinated, Contorted Hexabenzocoronenes”, Organic Letters, 2010, 12, 4840-4843.
- Skouta, R.; Wei, S.; Breslow, R. “High rates and substrate selectivities in water by polyvinylimidazoles as transaminase enzyme mimics with hydrophobically bound pyridoxamine derivatives as coenzyme mimics”, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2009, 131(43), 15604- 15605.
- Wei, S.; Wang, J.; Venhuizen, S.; Skouta, R.; Breslow, R. “Dendrimers in solution can have their remote catalytic groups folded back into the core: Enantioselective transaminations by dendritic enzyme mimics-II”, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2009, 19, 5543-5546.
- Breslow, R.; Wei, S.; Kenesky, C. “Enantioselective transaminations by dendrimeric enzyme mimics”, Tetrahedron, 2007, 63(28), 6317-6321.
- Wu, Q.; Zhu, M.; Wei, S.; Song, K.; Liu, L.; Guo, Q. “Photoinduced electron transfer in host-guest complexes of alpha- and beta-substituted naphthalene derivatives with mono-6-O-m-nitrobenzoyl-beta-cyclodextrin”, Journal of Inclusion Phenomena and Macrocyclic Chemistry, 2005, 52, 93-100.
- Wu, Q.; Zhu, M.; Wei, S.; Liu, L.; Guo, Q. “Photoinduced electron transfer in host-guest complexes of 2-naphthyl-(OCH2CH2) (n)-adamantanamines with mono-6-O-nitrobenzoyl-beta-cyclodextrin and mono-6-O-m-nitrobenzoyl-beta-cyclodextrin”, Chinese Journal of Chemistry, 2005, 23, 98-104.