Research Foundation Hiring Procedures - New Hiring Process
Where Do I begin?
New PIs should schedule an appointment with the Office of Grants/Sponsored Programs to receive an orientation to the hiring process. The process of hiring a new employee is complicated and the grants office is here to provide assistance to you.
What is Form I-9 and the Process?
I-9 is an Employment Eligibility Verification form used for verifying the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States. For every employee you hire, including temporary or part-time, and employees currently working under CUNY, s/he is required to complete the online electronic Form I-9. Independent Contractors are not required to complete this form.
The first step is to send an e-mail to Ms. SueAne Solares, Ssolaresfirstname.lastname@example.org and Ms. Corisse Vialva, CVialva@qcc.cuny.edu, with the name(s) and e-mail address(es) of the employee(s). An e-mail invitation will be sent to the prospective employee to complete Section One of the electronic Form I-9. Section One must be completed by the employee on, or before, the first day of hire.
After the employee completes Section One of the I-9, s/he must call the Office of Grants/Sponsored Program at (718) 631–6357 to schedule an appointment with Ms. Solares-Loza or Ms. Vialva to complete Section Two. To be in compliance with the federal government’s laws and regulations, Section Two of the form I-9 and E-verification must be completed within 3 business days of hire. For example, if an employee’s start date is on Thursday, we will have until the following Tuesday to complete Section Two of the I-9.
What is E-Verify?
E-Verify is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee’s form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records to confirm employment eligibility.
 Department of Homeland Security. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. E-Verify Overview; Last modified March 25, 2016. https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees/e-verify-overview.
What Forms Do I Need?
After the employee has completed the process of the I-9 and E-verify, s/he will need to complete a New Hire Package, which can be accessed through the Queensborough Community College, Office Grants/Sponsored Programs Web site: http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/sponsoredPrograms/RFnewhires.html.
Keep in mind, in order to expedite the processing of your new hire employee’s paperwork and payroll, the New Hire Package must be completed and sent to the Office of Grants/Sponsored Programs, Room H-336, at least one week before the proposed start date. A justification letter will be required if the new hire package is submitted late.
The following forms from the New Hire Package must be completed and signed:
- Employee Wage/ Title Acknowledgement - Employers in New York State must give all new hires written notice of the rate of pay, hourly overtime rate of pay, and regular payday upon hiring. The Employee Wage/Title Acknowledgement form can only be generated online by the Principal Investigator (PI) on the RFCUNY Web site prior to, or on the first date of hire. If the form is generated late, the PI will need to provide a justification letter stating why the form was not pre-populated on time.
- Personnel Action Form (PAF) - Make sure this form is completed. The PI will need this form to input the new hire information into the e-paf system.
- QCC Approval Letter – Only applicable if an employee indicated that s/he is on a CUNY or Tax Levy Payroll on the Personnel Action Form (PAF).
- Full-time faculty – A QCC approval letter, signed by the department chair and a multiple position form is required. Faculty must go to the Office of Faculty & Staff Relations, Room A-410 to obtain the multiple position form.
- Full-time/Part-time non-faculty – A QCC approval letter is required, signed by the department chair/supervisor. No multiple position form is required.
- Job Duties and Qualifications
- Application for Employment – PI completes FOR COMPLETION BY INTERVIEWER box, sign and date.
- Background Check Authorization
- Background Check - Parental Consent for Minors Only
- W-4 Federal Tax
- IT-2104 State Tax or IT-2104E (exemption from withholding)
- Social Security Card – required for payroll purpose
- Personnel Data
- Emergency Contact
- Equal Employment Opportunity Voluntary Self-Identification
- Annual Leave Memorandum – Every employee signs this form and gets a copy for their records.
- Annual Leave Schedule – Does not apply to temporary, on call or grant instructors working under the RF job code 2300 and 2400.
- Request for CUNYFirst Account Access – All Research Foundation CUNY employees must have a Queensborough Community College ID and e-mail account. Complete the CUNYFirst account form and bring it to Ms. Glenna Lash, Human Resources Manager, room A-505. It will take 3 to 4 business days for the employee to be entered into the CUNYFirst system. Once they are in the system, they may go to the College ID Office, room LB-23 to have their picture taken.
What Happens After the New Hire Paperwork is Completed?
The employee will also be contacted by RFCUNY by e-mail. RFCUNY employees are provided with a user ID and a temporary password. They will use this information to log onto the RFCUNY system to enter their hours on their timesheet, set-up direct deposit, see payroll information, print their W-2 and if applicable, obtain information on benefits and whom to contact.
Who to Contact
Keep in mind that RFCUNY and QCC are two separate entities. Any questions and/or issues with timesheets, payroll, etc. PIs should contact the Office of Grants/Sponsored Programs at (718) 631-6357. PIs may also contact the following Research Foundation CUNY Administrators:
Ms. Abeer Hamdan
Phone: 212-417-8654 | Fax: 6354
Payroll Coordinator and Timesheet:
Ms. Selma Wei
Phone: 212-417-8643 | Fax: 6343