College Assistants and Tutors

This document has been prepared to answer some of the questions you may have about your employment and benefits as a College Assistant or Tutor. Many of the forms that will be referred to are available on this website or in Personnel. This page can be viewed as a PDF here.

Health Plan Coverage

You are entitled to select one of the health plans offered by the New York City Health Benefits Program if you work on a regular schedule, at least twenty hours per week, and your appointment is expected to last for more than six months. If you are a new staff member, there is a ninety-day waiting period before you will be eligible to enroll in the New York City Health Benefits Program. As long as the forms are completed and handed in within 90 days, the effective date will be the first payroll after 90 days and after they are submitted. Several plans provide basic benefits without any cost to you. Other plans charge for basic benefits and additional benefits are available through optional riders. Health benefits applications; rate sheets and Summary Program Description booklets are available in Personnel and in this website as well. City paid health plan coverage continues only for the period that you meet the criteria mentioned above. If for any reason you no longer meet the eligibility requirements for City-paid coverage, you may elect to continue your health plan coverage through COBRA at full cost plus administrative fees. Information regarding COBRA is available in the Personnel Office.


Employees who are employed in the title of College Assistant are eligible to join the New York City Employees Retirement System (NYCERS). Enrollment application and benefits information are available under pension plans in this web site. NYCERS is a defined benefit plan in that benefits are based on age, average salary and years of employment. The vesting period is 5 years and you contribute 4.85% of your salary. After 10 years of equivalent full-time service, you no longer have to contribute to the system. The City contributes a lump sum annually to the pension funds. Additional information about NYCERS, and applications for membership are also available in the Personnel Office.

If you work 17 1/2 hours or more per week for and have completed and sent in a DC 37 Health & Security enrollment card, you will be eligible to receive union welfare benefits. Local 2054 of District Council 37, the Union that represents College Assistants, offers a fringe benefits package and a tuition reimbursement program. Certain long time College Assistants who retire may also be eligible to receive health and security benefits after leaving Queensborough. Please contact the Union at 125 Barclay Street, New York, NY, 10007 (212) 815-1234, for further details.

Under an act passed by the New York State Legislature and by agreement between City and Municipal employee unions, employees in the title of College Assistant who are represented in collective bargaining and who are not union members are subject to a deduction from their salary in an amount equal to the dues payable by a union member. This deduction is called an agency shop fee and it is listed on your paycheck as District Co 37 Loc 2054 A/S. College Assistants who regularly work less than 12  hours a week, however, may apply for a quarterly refund of the agency shop fee by submitting a completed worksheet with copies of pay stubs to the DC-37 Accounting Office at the above address. Worksheets are available at If you have questions regarding the union’s rebate policy, please call 212 815-1060 or contact


Annual leave in the first through third year of service is accrued after 500 hours. Annual leave in the third year of service and forward will be accrued from the beginning of the year. College Assistants are permitted to work 1040 hours in any fiscal year (July 1st to June 30th). College Assistants who work more than one department in CUNY are contractually limited to a total of 1040 work hours in a fiscal year. They are not allowed 1040 hours in each assignment. This has been, and remains, a White Collar Contract limit.

At the end of each fiscal year (June 30) College Assistants will be paid for all remaining annual leave balances as follows:

  1. If at the beginning of the next fiscal year (July 1st) the College Assistant continues to work, a lump sum payment will be made for the remaining annual leave balance, or
  1. If a College Assistant will not be working at the beginning of the next fiscal year (July 1st), payment for remaining annual leave shall be made in each regular pay period after July 1st in shares based on not less than the average number of days and hours worked by the College Assistant per week during the fiscal year when the leave was accrued. If a College Assistant begins working before all annual leave is paid up, a lump sum payment will be made for the remaining annual leave. College Assistants may request a lump sum payment instead of being paid in bi-weekly payments at the beginning of the new fiscal year.


You are entitled to receive sick leave if you work 500 or more hours in a given fiscal year. You will be credited with one hour of sick leave for every twenty hours worked. Sick leave may only be used for the personal illness of the employee. If you are sick more than three consecutive workdays, a doctor’s note must be submitted to the College Payroll Office indicating the nature of your illness and stating that you are capable of returning to work.


The City of New York offers a long-term care plan to all CUNY employees eligible for city heath insurance. For information call 866-414-7076 or visit

Commuter Benefits Program - WageWorks

The transit benefit program (WageWorks) allows employees to save on transportation expenses through pre-tax payroll deductions. For information and enrollment, please visit

Tax Deferred Annuities (TDA)/ Supplemental Retirement Annuities (SRA)/ Deferred Compensation Plans

College Assistants may participate in a tax deferred annuity program known as a 403(b) plan or the New York City Deferred Compensation Plan known as a 401K or the New York State Deferred Compensation Plan known as 457B. These plans allow participants to defer a percentage of salary before taxes through a salary reduction agreement.

MetLife offers a Tax Deferred Annuity Program. Contact Mr. Christopher J. Vargas at 914 372-2984 and 516 683-5515 or e-mail at

New York City Deferred Compensation Plan
212 306-7760

New York State Deferred Compensation Plan
800 422-8463


Employees in the title of College Assistant are covered by Workers’ Compensation. If you are injured in the official performance of your duties, you must visit the Health Services Department (Room MC-02 in the Medical Arts Building) and the College Personnel Office in order to complete certain forms attesting to your injury. These forms are also available in this website. Additional Workers’ Compensation information may be obtained from the College Personnel Office.


Both citizens and non-citizens must submit documents to verify their identity and employability. All offers of employment are contingent on presentation of the proper documents. College Assistants must complete an I-9 form and provide qualifying documentation before they can be placed on payroll. Whenever possible, verification should be completed prior to your start date. However, no later than your third day of employment, you must furnish the following to Personnel, A-412:

A complete list of the documents, which may be used to fulfill the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act, is located on the reverse side of the I-9 form.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact Personnel at 718 631-6269.

Revised - 4/2011