Academic Probation

How did I get on academic probation?
Students get on academic probation when their cumulative GPA falls below the requirements established for good academic standing.  Generally, your GPA should be at least a 2.0 (C average) to avoid being placed on academic probation.

Now that I am on academic probation, what will happen to me?
You MUST show improvement in your grades by the end of the following semester in which you were placed on probation. For example, if you were placed on probation at the end of the Fall semester, you must show improvement in your grades by the end of the following semester, which would be the Spring session.

What type of academic improvement must I show?
Once you are placed on academic probation, your semester’s GPA MUST be at least a 2.0. This means that the average of all the classes you take that semester must average to a 2.0 (C average) or above.  If your GPA is lower than a 2.0, you will then be continued on probation for one more semester.

What happens once I am continued on probation?
Once you are continued on probation, if you do not get a 2.0 (C average) during that semester, you may be academically dismissed from school. If you are academically dismissed, do not give up! You should immediately call the Counseling Center (Library 422, 718-631-6370) and make an appointment to speak to a counselor to find out about your college options, and/or re-admissions to Queensborough.

How do I get off of academic probation?
The only way to get off of academic probation is to maintain a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher, and have your cumulative GPA a 2.0 or higher.

I thought I was a good student, so what may be causing my low GPA?
* Personal issues such as family, relationships, feeling depressed, etc. interfering with concentration.
* Academic issues such as poor study/homework skills, or problems with other students or teachers.
* Receiving grades such as an F, INC or WU, and not understanding their severe impact on your GPA!
* Finding it difficult to get used to college and connect with others on campus.
* Lack of motivation or an unclear goal of what to major in.
* A possible learning disability.

What should I do if I am on probation and/or any of the above statements apply to me?
If you are on academic probation, you may want to schedule an appointment to see a Counselor in the Counseling Center located in the Library, Room 422 (718-631-6370). A counselor will be happy to meet with you to help you address any personal and or academic issues you may be having, refer you to campus programs that may assist you, and help you to become a successful college student!

ST-100 Links