Services Offered - College Discovery
What services does College Discovery offer?
College Discovery students have access to the instructional support services offered to all Queensborough students. In addition, College Discovery provides the following special services:
- Pre-Freshman Summer Program- This tuition-free summer enrichment program enables you to get a “head-start,” to improve your academic skills, become acquainted with the college, and make new friends.
- Academic Advisement- Students work with College Discovery Counselors who assist them with program planning and developing self-confidence and organizing.
- Academic Workshops- These bi-weekly workshops provide students with study groups for all courses. Each student group is led by a trained tutor. In these workshops, students get answers to their specific questions as well as the skills to master the course material through working together and using class notes and the text.
- College Discovery Career Awareness and Preparation- College Discovery offers career information workshops to help students clarify career goals and prepare them for continued study at a four-year college or employment after graduation from the college.
- College Discovery Club- The College Discovery Club , a recognized student organization, which provides cultural activities and offers students a means of sharing experiences, problems and solutions with one another.
- Counseling- Each student is assigned a Counselor who is available throughout the student’s enrollment in college. Counseling services assist CD Program students with issues that might hinder their academic success and retention. Through individual and group sessions, counselors actively engage their students in many areas. Counselors guide their students in setting goals and achieving their potential. Counselors help the students focus on personal, academic and career objectives.
- Financial Aid- The College Discovery staff will work with students on financial planning for educational costs.
- Academic Probation- Students on academic probation will attend workshops and tutoring to improve academically. Students will also be required to participate in group counseling sessions and interventions for successful study strategies and series of workshops that include, but are not limited to responsibility, study skills and time management.
- Special Interest Workshops- Scheduled during club hours, these workshops cover a number of topics, including; Transfer Information, Financial Aid, Career Information, Library research, Study Skills, and Surviving College.
- Tutorial Services- One-to-one tutoring and small group sessions are offered to all CD students in the subjects of their choice throughout the academic year. Tutors offer academic support utilizing computer-assisted instruction.