How to Apply as a Non-Degree Student
Students currently enrolled at other CUNY schools and wish to take courses at Queensborough must do so through the Epermit process.
Senior Citizens who wish to audit classes as non-matriculated student on a tuition-free, space-available basis please visit How to Apply as a Senior Citizen.
Students not currently enrolled at other CUNY schools must apply for non-degree status using our Non-Degree Application. Applications are processed as they are received. To ensure that your application will be processed in a timely manner, please complete all sections and submit by the application deadlines. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible to be eligible for classes as they fill up quick. Non-degree students can apply for all semesters (fall, winter, spring, summer)
For summer 2018, a onetime non-refundable application fee of $65.00 (USD) will be added to the bill at the time of registration. Effective fall 2018, a onetime non-refundable processing fee of $65.00 (USD) is required at the point of application.
All students applying for non-degree status must demonstrate college readiness prior to class registration. The following documentation can be submitted to assess proficiency.
- ACT or SAT
- NYS Regents
- Completion of a 3-credit college level Math and English class with a C or higher
- Proficient scores on the CUNY assessment test. Please visit CUNY's testing policy for more information.
All students must provide proof of immunization. New York State Public Health Law 2165 requires post-secondary students to show protection against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR). Persons born before January 1, 1957 must provide proof of rubella immunization. Persons born on or after January 1, 1957 are required to present proof of immunity against Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR). Submit forms to the Office of Health Services prior to registration. For more information visit the Office of Health Services.
Once the Office of Admission has determined acceptance in addition to proficiency students will receive information, via email, on how to register for classes. View all available classes online.
To be eligible for New York City tuition rates, students must be residents of New York State for the past year, and must have lived in New York City as the principal place of residence for six consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes for the semester you want to attend. In addition students must be US citizens, permanent residents, or possess an eligible non-immigrant status. The information provided will be used to determine if a student qualifies for the New York City tuition rate.
Categories of Non-Degree Students:
In addition to students wishing to take non-degree classes Queensborough Community College offers two specific non-degree programs:
Teachers on Sabbatical
Each semester, the College enrolls teachers on sabbaticals into a variety of courses. First time sabbatical teachers must apply online using the Non-Degree Application. It is recommended that prospective sabbatical teachers attend a union-sponsored sabbatical workshop to learn about Department of Education guidelines prior to their registration at Queensborough. Contact the DOE for more information.
24-Credit HSE Program (New York State High School Equivalency Diploma)
Prospective students who do not hold a high school diploma or the equivalent may qualify for the New York State High School Equivalency Diploma (HSE) by enrolling in Queensborough as a non-degree student and following the steps outlined below:
- Take the CUNY Act Assessment Tests in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics and successfully complete all remedial courses where required,
- Complete a prescribed credit distribution in order to earn the New York State high school equivalency diploma. A total of 24 credits are required, as follows:
- Six credits in English language arts including writing, speaking and reading (literature)
- Three credits in mathematics
- Three credits in natural science
- Three credits in social science
- Three credits in humanities
- Six credits in career and technical education or foreign languages.
For more information and a list of the distribution requirements, please consult the College catalog.
Matriculation of Non-degree Students
Non-degree students may apply for matriculation in a degree or certificate program by filing the QCC Non-degree to Degree Application form, available from the College's Admissions Office. To be considered for matriculation, these non-degree students need to:
- Complete at least 6 credits at QCC
- Achieve a minimum GPA of 2.0 (C)
- Submit official copies of all previous high school and college transcripts to the Admissions Office for evaluation.
- Take the CUNY Assessment tests in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics.
Services for Students with Disabilities
If you need accommodation(s) due to a disability, please contact QCC’s office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) located in room S-132 or call 718-631-6257.