What activities are offered at QCC’s STEP program?
- Science workshops: include earth science, living environment, chemistry and physics. Workshops provide hands-on activities as well as review of subjects covered in school.
- Math tutoring: all levels. Students are encouraged to bring homework/ problems from school to review in math tutoring sessions.
- Standardized Test preparation: students are offered extensive preparation for Regents exams and other standardized tests.
- SAT preparation: offered to qualified STEP sophomores and juniors.
- College guidance: Help with the college application process, including choosing schools, essay writing, and assistance with the on-line common application.
- Research opportunities: STEP students have the opportunity to work with a QCC faculty member on their own research project. They may present their work at a statewide conference and at other events throughout the year.
- Regional Conference: students involved in research projects present their posters to peers from the STEP program.
- Parent workshops: workshops for STEP parents are held periodically throughout the year. Topics include: motivating your child, finding financial aid for college, etc…
- Other special events: pizza parties, t-shirt making, regional events, etc...