PE-401 Course Syllabus
Credit hours: 2 hours, 1 credit
Course description: This course will introduce students to all skills of basketball: footwork, passing, shooting, dribbling, defense, and boxing out. The course will include executing some basic strategies such as give and go, screen and roll, and backdoor cuts. It will cover the rules of the game with a chance to officiate and keep a scorebook. The course will offer opportunities for competitive games with an emphasis on teamwork and sportsmanship.
|General educational objectives addressed by this course:||Course activities that help to meet general education objectives|
1. Students will communicate effectively through writing, listening, and speaking
Students will learn basic basketball skills and knowledge through, lecture, text, media, and skill demonstration and practice
2. Students will work collaboratively in diverse groups directed at accomplishing learning
Students will work with partners, groups and teams in practicing skills and participating in structured activities
3. Students will integrate knowledge and skills across disciplines
Students will describe the impact of their physical activity participation on personal health and wellness
Specific Course Objectives:
1. Students will describe and demonstrate basketball rules, skills and strategies: Written quizzes, skill tests, practical application
2. Students will demonstrate individual basketball skills: Skill tests, practice, practical application in games
3. Students will demonstrate basic knowledge of various competitive tournaments: Written quizzes, organization, practical application
5. Students will successfully participate in all classes: Attendance, group and partner work, skill tests, instructor observation
Course Requirements and Assessments
- Students must wear appropriate clothing (shorts, shirt, sneakers)
- Students are expected to attend class on time and participate in all activities Attendance policy:
Students are expected to attend every class. Missing classes may put students at a disadvantage in completing the course successfully. Unexcused absences in excess of 2 will result in a deduction of 10 points off of your final numerical grade. With prior knowledge of scheduled participation in QCC sanctioned sports, religious observances, etc., early departures or absences may be excused with written documentation and the approval of the instructor. It is the responsibility of the student to provide instructors with PRIOR written notification of absences due to participation in QCC Sports. Absences due to illness or injury may be excused with email notification prior to class, and written documentation from a physician on the day of return. No late make up work will be accepted for unexcused absences.
Note: According to College requirements, if you miss five unexcused hours (2 ½ classes) of this class you are considered excessively absent. Absences beyond this point may result in a failing grade.
Cell phones, pagers, iPods, PDAs and other electronic equipment are not permitted in class unless prior approval is given by the instructor.
Basketball knowledge 25
Individual skills 25
Active participation 25
94-100 = A
90-93 = A-
86-89 = B+
83-85 = B
80-82 = B-
76-79 = C+
73-75 = C
70-72 = C-
Below 70 = F