Job ID: 7202
Contract Title: College Laboratory Technician
Location: Queensborough Community College
Department: Health, Physical Education & Dance
Category: Managerial and Professional
Issue Date: December 18 2012
Closing Date: January 17 2013
Performs highly-skilled laboratory functions and other technical duties in support of coursework.
- Sets up, maintains, and organizes student laboratories
- Assists students with setting up experiments and other learning exercises, and with the use of equipment and materials
- Maintains appropriate safety and hygiene standards
- Maintains required documentation related to laboratory activities
- Manages equipment and materials inventories.
Campus Specific Information:
Reporting to the Department Chairperson, the College Laboratory Technician (CLT) in the Health, Physical Education and Dance Department will provide technical support to the department's classes. The CLT is expected to conduct himself/herself as a member of a team, and to exert cooperative and helpful effort. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
The CLT will perform the following general duties:
- Set up, maintain and organize the daily operation of GYM facilities.
- Inspect and oversee fields and gym facilities for the department.
- Contact and follow up with vendors regarding equipment, uniform orders, and supplies.
- Service the general needs of the Health, Physical Education and Dance Department regarding facilities and equipment.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Prepare and expedite Purchase Requisitions for the department.
- Prepare supplies and equipment for daily use.
- Maintain accurate records on department purchases and delivery reports.
- Be responsible for daily routine for initial setups/breakdowns of major equipment for classes.
- Prepare Physical Education Uniform Issue and Return Control.
- Submit periodic reports and fulfill other assignments as specified by the Department Chairperson.
- Maintain and service department equipment including minor repairs, along with the filing of work-orders to Building and Grounds for major jobs and repairs.
For more information about the Department of Health, Physical Education and Dance, see the department website: http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/hped/index.html.
High School Diploma with a minimum of four years' related experience. Additional education may be used to meet the experience requirement: an Associate degree may be substituted for two years experience, and a Bachelor's degree may be substituted for four years experience.
Preferred qualifications include:
- ability to maintain accurate records and prepare written reports
- excellent organizational skills
- experience working in a Health or Physical Education facility
- experience working with diverse populations
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
How To Apply:
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.