Job ID: 7203
Location: Queensborough Community College
Department: Health, Physical Educatin & Dance
Issue Date: December 04 2012
Closing Date: February 03 2013
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Faculty Vacancy Announcement:
Performs teaching, research, and guidance duties in area(s) of expertise as noted below. Shares responsibility for committee and department assignments, performing administrative, supervisory, and other functions as may be assigned.
The Department of Health, Physical Education and Dance is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant Professor in Dance.
About the Queensborough Community College Department of Health, Physical Education and Dance: The Department offers required and elective classes in dance, health education, and physical education for a number of degree programs at the College. The Department sponsors an A.A.S. degree in Massage Therapy and the Dance Concentration in the A.S. degree in Visual and Performing Arts. The Athletic program includes competitive team sports. For more information, please see the department's website at http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/hped/index.html.
Queensborough is seeking an Assistant Professor in Dance who will teach in the program. The candidate will teach a broad range of Dance courses. Participation in academic advisement, regular department and dance program meetings, department committees, program development, and assessment are required. The candidate must be willing to become part of the culture of the College in terms of taking part in College committees and initiatives that carry out the mission of the College. For Assistant Professor, scholarly and/or creative activities are required for tenure and promotion. Evening and/or weekend schedules may be required. Due to the specific requirements of this program, summer academic advisement duties (compensated) are required for this position. The teaching workload is 27 hours over the academic year plus weekly office hours.
Specific job duties:
- Teach three or more disciplines in dance.
- Direct Dance Workshop.
- Work with the Dance Faculty on the development of the program.
- Take dance majors to ACDFA.
- Choreograph on the students.
- Advise students on placement and course scheduling as well as summer study and the career of a dancer.
Required qualifications include:
- Master of Fine Arts degree in Dance
- Ability to teach three or more of the following - Modern Dance Technique, Ballet, Improvisation, Choreography, African/Afro-Caribbean, Hip Hop, Jazz, Contact Improvisation
- Experience directing student concerts or self-production experience
- Professional performing and/or choreographic experience
- Ability to teach successfully, interest in productive scholarship or creative achievement, and ability to cooperate with others for the good of the institution
Preferred qualifications include:
- Minimum of 3 years college teaching experience
- Experience in academic administration and curriculum development
- Experience with assessment and working with multi-cultural populations
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
How To Apply:
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.