Job ID: 8020
Contract Title: Higher Education Assistant
Location: Queensborough CC
Department: CUNY Start Program
Category: Managerial and Professional
Issue Date: May 06 2013
Closing Date: June 05 2013
Provides educational development activities supporting a targeted academic program.
Campus Specific Information:
CUNY Start is an intensive program for incoming college students, both high school and GED graduates, who need to increase their academic proficiency in reading, writing and mathematics prior to enrollment in college credit classes. The CUNY Office of Academic Affairs, six of the University's seven community colleges and the College of Staten Island work collaboratively to provide students with an innovative approach to developmental education. CUNY Start is recognized for its carefully designed curriculum and pedagogy, ongoing professional development, and a supportive approach to student development.
CUNY Start has proven to be highly effective at reducing and/or eliminating students' remedial needs within one semester. In FY 12, CUNY Start served approximately 1,225 students at seven campuses. In FY13, CUNY Start is expanding to an additional 8 full-time programs serving 1,850 students or 625 more students than in FY12, and by spring of 2014, it is estimated that CUNY Start will serve nearly 4,000 students, more than doubling in size.
The CUNY Start Program Support Specialist conducts comprehensive individual and group student orientations, information sessions and interviews, academic advising, performance feedback sessions and conferences, skills development seminars, workshops, recruitment/outreach, new student orientation and other activities to enable successful program enrollment, completion, college transition and matriculation. Reporting to the campus CUNY Start Director, the Program Support Specialist may work with a set group of students to cultivate and oversee their educational and advisement plans.
Other duties will include but not be limited to the following:
- Provide academic and college success advice; general guidance, coaching, mentoring and career exploration support.
- Monitor, evaluate, document and report on students' academic participation and progress, ensure compliance with guidelines, and manage records and files.
- Advocate for students, intervene with appropriate program support services and referrals to faculty, campus learning resources and/or University student development services.
- Deliver program curricula and create training manuals and educational support materials.
- Coordinate regular team meetings with faculty, academic and administrative staff, and actively participate in campus and University meetings and training activities.
- Participate in executing the program's daily operations and logistics.
- Analyze program data, assist with evaluating goals, and develop measurement criteria to perform student learning outcomes assessments and create utilization reports.
- May supervise and train full/part-time professional, academic and/or office support staff.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
Successful candidates will have the following professional and business core competencies:
$42,873 - $53,032; Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
How To Apply:
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.