Job ID: 8593
Contract Title: Administrative Superintendent Buildings-Grounds
Location: Queensborough Community College
Department: Buildings and Grounds
Category: Managerial and Professional
Issue Date: August 13 2013
Closing Date: September 12 2013
Under general direction, with the widest latitude for the use of independent judgment and initiative, serves as a principal assistant to a higher level Administrative Superintendent, a Chief Administrative Superintendent, or other College executive in one or more areas, such as the cleaning, operation, maintenance, repair and improvements to the physical plant and grounds of a community or senior college. Assists a higher level administrator in the assignment and supervision of staff to ensure the safe and effective operation and maintenance of the plant, mechanical equipment and grounds. Directs buildings and grounds staff in all repair and service requests and makes inspections to determine the need for actual and preventive maintenance. Plans and directs the rehabilitation, improvement, and repair work involving alterations to buildings and grounds, such as painting, electrical work, heating, ventilating, and air conditioning plant repairs, plumbing, masonry work, carpentry, gardening, and horticulture work; or prepares bid specification for the performance of such work by contractors.
Campus Specific Information:
Queensborough Community College's campus covers 37 acres and consists of 16 buildings (including 6 temporary buildings) that cover over one million square feet. Additionally, we occupy a 5000 square foot facility in downtown Flushing. We are a seven day a week operation with classes and activities offered from 7 am to 11 pm, with an equally heavy schedule during January intersession and summer sessions.
Reporting to and assisting a higher level Administrative Superintendent and the Chief Superintendent, the Administrative Superintendent Level 1 will be responsible for the appearance and cleanliness of the physical plant and campus grounds. The Administrative Superintendent Level 1 will be responsible for all campus activities involving custodians, laborers, and gardeners.
The Administrative Superintendent Level 1 will:
- Ensure that appropriate operating procedures are implemented.
- Adapt standards covering custodial and laborer services to Queensborough.
- Assist in preparation of contracts for services.
- Supervise and train custodial, laborer, and gardener staff.
- Establish policies for the training of new employees.
- Maintain budget and work records and prepare required reports for areas pertaining to laborers, custodians, and gardeners as well as for snow removal.
- Receive complaints and direct corrective action with respect to buildings and grounds maintenance.
- Receive and process Buildings & Grounds responses for all requested special events; coordinate Buildings & Grounds responsibilities (including custodians and laborers) in preparation for campus events.
1. A Baccalaureate degree in related field of study from an accredited college and four years of related experience of which two years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience in the management and/or operation and maintenance of buildings and grounds such as large hotels, educational complexes, large office buildings, or large building complexes large gardens or parks; OR
2. A valid New York State Registration as an Architect and 3 years of related experience of which one year must be full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
3. A valid New York State Professional Engineer's license and 3 years of related experience of which one year must be full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
4. A valid New York City High Pressure Boiler Operating Engineer's license, a four year high school diploma or its equivalent, and six years of related experience of which four years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
5. A four year high school diploma or its equivalent and eight years of related experience of which four years must be progressive full-time managerial/administrative experience as described in 1 above; OR
6. A combination of education and/or experience equivalent to 1,2,3,4 and 5 above. In addition an advanced degree in a managerial field from an accredited college may be substituted for an additional year of managerial/administrative experience. However, all candidates must possess a high school diploma or its equivalent, and three years of related experience of which one year must be managerial / administrative as described in 1 above.
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
How To Apply:
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.