Job ID: 9911
Contract Title: Higher Education Assistant
Location: Queensborough Community College
Department: Human Resources and Labor Relations
Category: Managerial and Professional
Issue Date: December 11 2013
Closing Date: January 10 2014
Develops and administers processes and policies regarding Human Resources.
- Advises employees and managers on Human Resources policies and guidelines; provides a high level of customer service in assisting members of the College community
- Supervises and administers one or more human resources programs such as recruiting, pay administration, employee orientation, employee benefits, data entry and recordkeeping, and performance appraisal/reappointment practices
- Maintains an in-depth understanding of CUNY rules and regulations, relevant laws and guidelines, collective bargaining agreements, and College policies, and applies these to his/her areas of responsibility
- Investigates regarding sensitive employee issues or complaints
- Helps create innovative communications such as manuals, web pages, or employee meetings and provides these to the College community
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: HR Specialist
Campus Specific Information:
The Office of Human Resources' mission is to deliver comprehensive resources and services that include recruitment, employee benefits, performance management, classification, and compensation as well as employee labor relations and legal affairs. We are committed to providing the highest quality services and we will strive to support our employees so they can better serve our students and our community. We are also dedicated to attracting, encouraging and retaining a highly qualified workforce to support the College's mission of academic excellence.
Reporting to the Director of Faculty and Staff Relations, the HR Specialist for Classification and Recruitment performs human resources duties pertaining to classification, position management, and recruitment. This position will also assist the College Recruiter.
The responsibilities of the position will include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist Hiring Managers with drafting job descriptions in accordance with the University's Code of Practice.
- Assist with the submission of supporting documentation related to employment processes and approvals to the University.
- Set up and maintain positions in CUNYFirst (PeopleSoft) through the Position Management module; liaison to the Budget Office in coordinating vacant and filled positions.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' related experience required.
- Two years of experience in Human Resources in a Higher Education setting (as part of the required four years' related experience)
- Experience with PeopleSoft or similar systems preferred
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines, individually and as a team member
- Must be detail oriented and possess excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Strong customer service skills are essential as is the ability to work with a diverse population of various organizational levels
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office Products such as Word, Excel, and Power Point
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
How To Apply:
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must provide a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.