Job ID: 9313
Contract Title: Higher Education Assistant
Location: Queensborough Community College
Department: Academic Advisement
Category: Managerial and Professional
Issue Date: October 07 2013
Closing Date: November 07 2013
Administers an academic advising center or unit.
- Collaborates with other academic and administrative offices to maintain a comprehensive academic advisement program
- Ensures students are provided with consistent, accurate, and prompt advising services, coordinating with academic departments
- Works with students to resolve academic issues, providing information and/or referral
- Develops orientation programs to engage and retain students and instructs students, faculty and staff on use of advising technologies
- Conducts assessments to strengthen advisement programs
- Organizes and facilitates training for faculty advisors
- Develops print and online communication materials
- May supervise office operations and budget
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Campus Specific Information:
The Queensborough Community College's Office of Academy Advisement consists of five academies by disciplines:
- Business Academy
- Health-Related Sciences Academy
- Liberal Arts Academy (including Education and Criminal Justice)
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Academy
- Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Academy
Each of the five Academies provides students with special learning opportunities and activities, along with personalized guidance from an Academy Adviser. All full-time students will participate in at least two high-impact learning experiences such as service-learning, e-portfolios, learning communities, writing intensive courses, and more.
The Academy Advising Specialist will:
- Report directly to Associate Director of Academy Advisement.
- Work closely with other Academy Advising Specialists and Coordinators in the planning of operational policies and procedures for a specific Academy Advisement Center.
- Together with the management team develop and implement Academy specific policies, procedures, and protocols in delivering academy advisement.
- Work closely with Academy Advising Manger, Academy Advising Specialists and Coordinators to provide continual communication and updates to students, staff, administrators and faculty.
- Work closely with Academy Faculty Coordinators in the delivery of academy specific events and activities.
- Plan for the personal delivery of services at all Academy Advisement centers on a daily, weekly, quarterly, and annual basis with focused attention on retention and degree completion objectives.
- Prepare caseload reports of advising services on a monthly and annual basis and other reports as requested.
- Participate in appropriate campus and external campus activities.
- Maintain and manage assigned student caseload via various tracking systems (CUNYfirst, DegreeWorks and Starfish Retention Management). Advise students concerning institutional policy and due process.
- Demonstrate and model the professional employment skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility, and teamwork.
Evening and weekend hours required.
Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.
- Professional experience in student advisement in higher education setting
- Excellent communications and inter-personal skills especially with students
- Experience in working with diverse student populations
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft and DegreeWorks academic audit systems preferred
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
How To Apply:
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must provide a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.