Job ID: 11315
Contract Title: Higher Education Officer
Location: Queensborough Community College
Department: Strategic Planning, Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness
Category: Managerial and Professional
Issue Date: August 29 2014
Closing Date: September 28 2014
Review of Resumes to Start: September 11 2014
Directs institutional research programs and contributes to academic program planning, evaluation, and other activities related to the College's mission.
- Works collaboratively with senior management on issues of assessment, including general institutional effectiveness and measures of student success and learning
- Designs and oversees research efforts with an institutional scope and assists departments and offices with focused research needs
- Coordinates program reviews and accreditation reporting
- Manages institutional research data systems and other resources
- Maintains standard management information and official statistics for internal and external reporting
- Develops procedures to support analytical, planning, and assessment functions in student and academic areas
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Institutional Research Director
Campus Specific Information:
Reporting to the Vice President for Strategic Planning, Assessment, and Institutional Effectiveness, the Senior Director oversees the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment, and provides leadership and vision for planning, organizing, and implementing comprehensive institutional research, including market analysis, that will support informed decision-making with thorough and accurate data and information. Leveraging institutional data, sophisticated analytical techniques, and market analysis, the Senior Director provides critical and trusted decision support to campus leadership.
The Senior Director will support the development of metrics for the institution's strategic planning; plan, design and conduct and/or oversee research to meet compliance with state, federal, CUNY and college requirements and accreditation standards; ensure accuracy of state, federal and college reports on student outcomes; and provide forecasting data to assist the college in developing and updating curricula. The Senior Director will work with individuals and groups to assess effective strategies to help students meet their educational goals.
- Plan, design, coordinate, supervise, and implement comprehensive institutional research and planning projects to provide information about student and curriculum outcomes.
- Plan, design and consult with others on a variety of projects related to strategic planning, institutional accountability, effectiveness and decision-making
- Undertake and advise on market research and compile market research briefs
- Conduct regular environmental scanning in support of program planning and review
- Develop and supervise the preparation of assigned data reports; read, interpret and explain plans and research findings
- Develop, prepare and deliver multimedia presentations; disseminate regular trend reports to the college community
- Represent the College in local and regional research and planning groups; keep abreast of developments in the areas of higher education institutional research and business intelligence and reporting requirements.
- Present at conferences; maintain membership and seek leadership roles in state and national research organizations
- Work collaboratively with faculty, staff and administrators to develop, maintain and support the research and planning needs that facilitate student access and success
- Work independently with little direction in a multi-project, fast-paced environment and meet concurrent deadlines
Bachelor's Degree and eight years' relevant experience required
- Master's degree in a related area (education management, public policy, educational measurement and analysis, other quantitative social sciences, etc.) strongly preferred. A doctorate is a plus
- Eight years of experience in the area of institutional research, data analysis, strategic or academic planning, business intelligence, environmental scanning, decision-support, data-mining, or related fields; experience in higher education is preferred.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, project planning and implementation skills, as well as consulting, relationship building, and strategic thinking skills.
- Proficiency with statistical software packages such as SPSS, SAS, or STATA.
- Ability to provide advanced quantitative analysis; a functional understanding of relational databases, data warehousing concepts and techniques.
- Experience using relevant labor and market data resources
- Five or more years of management experience, demonstrating excellent leadership and conflict management skills, ability to motivate staff, delegate effectively, listen, coach, and train.
- Proven ability to work well in a multicultural and diverse environment.
- Demonstrated experience directing multiple high level projects preferably in an academic, non-profit, or public sector organization.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, as well as highly developed data visualization skills and presentation skills.
- Ability to communicate complex and technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft is preferred.
- Experience with interactive dashboards a plus.
- Experience working in a multi-campus urban university is preferred.
Commensurate with experience and qualifications
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
How To Apply:
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.