Job ID: 10849
Contract Title: Higher Education Officer
Location: Queensborough Community College
Department: Office of Institutional Advancement
Category: Managerial and Professional
Issue Date: June 03 2014
Closing Date: July 03 2014
Review of Resumes to Start: June 27 2014
Develops and implements strategies to secure major gifts to a College or Unit.
- Creates and implements thoughtful strategies to attract gifts from donors and prospects; works with management to establish, and meet, goals and targets
- Builds relationships, seeking new donors through prospecting using a variety of sources, and maintaining ongoing relationships with existing donors, collaborating with College and University management
- Ensures reporting requirements are completed in timely and accurate manner; utilizes automated systems for tracking and reporting
- Adheres to established protocols such as the University's gift acceptance policy
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Campus Specific Information:
Reporting to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, the Development Officer will lead and expand the College's annual giving and major gifts program with individual donors, alumni, foundations and community prospects to raise funds to support the College and its programs. Fundraising priorities at Queensborough Community College include the following: student scholarships and support; the College's three cultural centers (Kupferberg Holocaust Center, QCC Art Gallery and the Performing Arts Center); and faculty development and pedagogy, with particular emphasis upon high impact learning practices to increase retention and graduation rates among the College's diverse student body.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Raise funds for the College and its programs.
- Generate new fundraising leads, solicit prospects, and cultivate existing donors to raise approximately $3-5 million per year.
- Coordinate special event fundraisers and donor engagement/recognition/stewardship/activities/events.
- Develop, customize, and write case statements/grant proposals for donor prospects.
- Create a rigorous schedule/calendar for cultivation visits to engage prospective donors.
- Manage staff.
Non-standard work hours may apply. It is preferred that the successful candidate will provide own transportation when traveling to meet with external funding sources/donor prospects.
Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience required.
- Eight years' related experience must include documented history of raising philanthropic funds
- Demonstrated initiative in identifying, cultivating, and engaging new prospects within annual timelines
- Must be organized, detail oriented, and demonstrate follow through on cultivation leads and gifts
- Excellent writing and communication skills, both in terms of writing compelling case statements as well as with grammar, punctuation, and spelling skills
- Budget development and management skills
- Must be able to write 1-2 page preliminary proposals quickly, such as within 24 hours
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Highly organized and detail- and deadline-oriented
- Documented record of networking within Queens, Western Long Island, and/or New York City
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter
- Knowledge of fundraising software recordkeeping and reporting systems such as Raiser's Edge
- Ability to provide own transportation when traveling to meet with external funding sources/donor prospects preferred
Salary commensurate with experience
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
How To Apply:
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account,
and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the
Candidates must provide a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.