Job ID: 10594
Contract Title: Custodial Supervisor
Location: Queensborough Community College
Department: Buildings And Grorunds
Category: Support Staff
Issue Date: April 18 2014
Closing Date: May 18 2014
Under supervision, performs work of ordinary difficulty and responsibility supervising cleaning and maintenance of buildings, their furnishings and their immediate grounds.
There are no Assignment Levels within this classification. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as needed.
On an assigned tour of duty, supervises a small- to medium-sized group of employees, principally cleaners, engaged in cleaning and maintaining college buildings and their furnishings. This involves such tasks as sweeping, dusting, scrubbing, polishing, washing, shampooing carpets, cleaning sidewalks and walkways of dirt, debris and snow, gathering and disposing of refuse in accordance with New York City recycling regulations, operating elevators, moving school furniture, and mowing and caring for lawns.
- Inspects work of subordinates to insure maximum efficiency, economy and quality of work.
- Prepares work schedules utilizing college systems for scheduling and/or timekeeping.
- Stores and issues supplies.
- Trains or arranges for training of new employees.
- Monitors and evaluates employee performance in keeping with CUNY guidelines.
- Maintains records and prepares required reports.
- Oversees the use and maintenance of cleaning equipment such as compactors, extractors, buffing machines, vacuum cleaners, etc.
- May perform minor maintenance work such as replacing light bulbs.
- Ensures all appropriate safety procedures are observed in the performance of tasks.
- Directs the use of ladders in the performance of assigned tasks in compliance with all safety regulations.
Completion of an eighth grade education and three years of full-time experience in the cleaning and maintenance of a building.
- Additional education above the eighth grade may be substituted on a year for year basis for up to two years of the required work experience. However, all candidates must possess a minimum of one (1) year of full-time work experience as described above.
- For work experience requirements, CUNY considers full-time work to be 35 hours per week. Part-time experience of at least 20 hours per week may be prorated and credited instead of, but not in addition to, full-time experience during the same period. Part-time experience of less than 20 hours per week will not be credited at all.
- Demonstrated English language proficiency, including ability to speak, read, write, and understand English well enough to meet minimally acceptable performance standards set for job duties.
- By the completion of the probationary period, demonstrated competency in supervising employees.
New Hire: $28,782*
*This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
How To Apply:
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.