The QCC Art Gallery of the City University of New York

History | Mission | Staff | Membership | Testimonials | Directions

view of the QCC Art Gallery from the Administration building 5th floor terrace

The QCC Art Gallery of the City University of New York is a vital educational and cultural resource for the Queensborough Community College, the Borough of Queens and the surrounding communities. The Gallery is housed in the historic 1920's Oakland Building, formerly the Club House for the Oakland Country Club.

Since 1966, the QCC Art Gallery has been an integral part of the College's educational program. The QCC Art Gallery was founded by the first Chairman of the College's Department of Art and Photography, Priva B. Gross, and was maintained largely through the support and vision of this department.

On October 25, 1981, after five years of planning, the Gallery opened to the public with its first exhibit in its present facility, the historic Oakland Building, the oldest permanent structure on the campus. The design for the gallery was generated through a student competition, in a design class in the Department of Mechanical Engineering Technology and Design Drafting. Ms. Marsha Narowlansky, winner of the competition, as part of the award, joined the QCC Office of Campus Planning to supervise the execution of her architectural plan. Contributions from the Queensborough Student Association and Department of Art and Photography financed the renovation.

JW Player goes here

In 1988 a full-time director was appointed.

On October 24, 2004, the QCC Art Gallery reopened once again following an extensive renovation project, which was guided by the architectural firm Beatty, Harvey and Associates, and implemented by Marco Martelli and Associates. The resulting state-of-the-art facility maintains the original architectural elements of the building.