an online textbook
Philip A. Pecorino, Ph.D.
Graduate School and University Center, School of Professional Studies,
Suffolk County Community College
Chapter 7: The
Existence of Souls and the Resurrection
Section 5. Final
After all the reflections on this topic these questions remain:
- Is there conclusive evidence to indicate that there is the existence
of a soul or spirit that can exist separate from the physical body?
- Is there conclusive evidence that the spirit or soul or
"self" continues to exist after the death of the body?
What evidence or support is there for the idea that a
soul will exist for all eternity, i.e., forever or for an infinity?
- Is there conclusive reasoning that the survival of the person is
- Is there any evidence or conclusive reasoning on the nature of the
- Will we get our bodies back? If so, which one?
- What will life in the hereafter be like? Is it
possible for a human to exist and be happy for eternity?
- Is it possible for a human to exist and be happy for
eternity in a body?
There are also the questions that are seldom raised
or discussed in the West including such as:
- If there is a deity is it still possible that there
are no souls?
- If there is a deity is it possible that the are souls
but that they do not exist for all eternity or forever but instead that
the souls cease to exist as individual entities and are either
extinguished altogether or transformed or taken into the existence of
the deity or the absolute?
© Copyright Philip A. Pecorino
2001. All Rights reserved.
Web Surfer's Caveat: These are
class notes, intended to comment on readings and amplify class discussion.
They should be read as such. They are not intended for publication or