How Germs Spread
Illnesses like the flu (influenza) and colds are caused by viruses that infect the nose, throat, and lungs. The flu and colds usually spread from person to person when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
Take care to:
- Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough
- Clean your hands often (with soap and water for 15 to 20 seconds rubbing your hands vigorously together to dislodge and remove germs)
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth
- Stay home when you are sick, get plenty of rest, and check with a health care provider when severe symptoms are present
- Practice other good health habits
Common symptoms of the flu include:
Fever (usually high)
Runny or stuffy nose
Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea
Get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of fluids and eat nutritious food.
For more information, contact Health Services at ext. 6375