How To Apply for Financial Aid On-Line for 2012-13 Award Year
How To Apply for Financial Aid On-Line for 2013-14 Award Year
(Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 semesters)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR NEW STUDENTS
Deadline For New Students Starting Fall 2013: June 1, 2013
Step One: Get Federal Personal Identification Number (PIN) for you and one of your parents
- If you don’t have a PIN at this time, you may apply for one while filling out the FAFSA
- You can request your own PIN or have the government pick one for you
- PINs are your and your parents’ electronic signature for on-line applications
- Save your PINs in a safe place – you will need to use them every year and to access your Federal Student Aid records online
Step Two: Collect the following documents
- Your social security number & driver’s license number
- Your alien registration number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- Social security numbers and dates of birth for your parents
- 2012 federal and state tax returns for you and your parents (if dependent) & W2 forms –
Strongly recommended that tax returns be filled electronically
- 2012 untaxed income (such as child support, workers’ compensation or disability) for you and your parents
- Savings, investments, real estate and business records (if applicable) for you and your parents
NOTE: A TWO-FAMILY HOUSE OR OTHER RENTAL PROPERTY IS CONSIDERED AN INVESTMENT.
Step Three: Complete attached FAFSA Worksheet– DO NOT MAIL this Worksheet if filing online.
- Complete the attached FAFSA Worksheet using all of the documentation listed above
Step Four: Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line
- FAFSA is used to apply for Federal Pell Grant, Work-Study and Student Loans.
- Use information entered on the attached FAFSA Worksheet and go to www.fafsa.ed.gov, select “Start Here”
- Enter your login information which includes a password that you create. It can be your Federal PIN or something different. Enter First name, Last name, SS#, and date of Birth, click “NEXT”
- If you filed a FAFSA last year, click on “Renewal”, enter your PIN number. It will pre-fill your application. Be sure to review the info and make changes as necessary.
- The easiest way to complete FAFSA with accurate tax information is by using IRS Data Retrieval Tool. In a few steps, you are able to view your tax return information and transfer it directly into your FAFSA.
*NOTE: If you and/or your parents filed their tax returns electronically less than two weeks ago, the IRS Data Retrieval Tool will not be available to you. To speed up the processing of your application, we are requesting students and/or parents to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if given the option to do so.
Please make sure to review “Help and Hints” located on the right hand side of application
- When prompted, sign the application with your PIN(s) accordingly.
- Print your FAFSA data before submitting it.
- Print confirmation page for your records – this is proof you have submitted your FAFSA on-line
Step Five: Complete Tuition Assistantance Program (TAP) on-line
- Once your FAFSA has been completed, be sure to click on link to TAP website
- Apply for a New York State USER ID AND HESC PIN on this web site (student only). This PIN serves as the student signature.
- Review and correct the pre-printed answers on your on-line TAP application, and answer any blank questions.
- If you miss this step, you will be sent an e-mail with instructions on how to access “TAP on the Web”.
QCC SCHOOL CODE
Federal (use for FAFSA) 002697
State (use for TAP) 1407