- What is Blackboard?
- What do you need to access Blackboard?
- How and where does Blackboard run?
- I want to use Blackboard for my classes? What should I do?
- My Blackboard course is set to "Unavailable". How can I make it "Available"?
- What if I need to create a username & password?
What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is a Web-based platform used to deliver course materials to enhance both teaching and learning experiences. Working in a password-protected environment, faculty and students are able to post and access course materials, make use of discussion groups, email and many related course management tools -- anytime and anywhere.
CUNY is currently using Blackboard 8.0 and it is available to all faculty and students. The campus Blackboard administrator and the Help Desk provide technical support for faculty and student.
What do you need to access Blackboard?
A computer with an internet connection
A web browser -
A CUNY First account – click here to activate your CUNY First account
A CUNY Portal account – click here to activate your CUNY Portal account
How and where does Blackboard run?
• Blackboard is hosted on Blackboard, Inc. infrastructure in Virginia. CUNY is licensed to use Blackboard Learn (v9.1)
• Blackboard is authenticated by the CUNY LDAP which pulls information from CUNYfirst
• Blackboard is accessed through the CUNY Portal
I want to use Blackboard for my classes? What should I do?
• Blackboard course-shell is automatically created for every CUNY course before the beginning of each semester
• Teachers and students listed in CUNYfirst are automatically enrolled in their respective Blackboard courses
My Blackboard course is set to "Unavailable". How can I make it "Available"?
All Blackboard course-shells are set to “Unavailable” when they are created – so students will not see their courses when they login until their teachers make them available.
Teachers are the only ones who can make courses “Available”. How to make your course available
What if I need to create a username & password?
Only the student, faculty, or staff member can create their own username & password for the CUNY Portal. Instructions are available on this web site to help you create your account. Follow the link below
What if I can't remember my password?