Job ID: 6731
Contract Title: Higher Education Officer
Location: Queensborough Community College
Department: Buildings and Grounds
Category: Managerial and Professional
Issue Date: October 16 2012
Closing Date: November 17 2012
Directs, plans, and supports the facilities and space requirements of academic programs and other facilities as required.
- Works with Directors and Department Chairs to determine short- and long-range facilities requirements
- Facilitates the design and renovation of classrooms and laboratories
- Participates in long-range planning for academic department needs
- Performs space utilization and efficiency studies, determines space needs, and prepares master plans
- Manages space inventory databases
- Coordinating with University resources, assists in managing major design and construction projects
- Performs other duties as required.
Campus Specific Information:
Queensborough Community College/CUNY, located on a 37 acre campus with 14 buildings in northeast Queens, serves over 23,000 commuter students through a variety of academic and enrichment programs, and employs over 2,000 faculty and staff. The College, which operates seven days a week and year round, also hosts over 90,000 visitors a year in its Professional Performing Arts Center, Art Gallery and Kupferberg Holocaust Resource Center. The Campus Facilities Officer, reporting to the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds manages on-going capital projects as well as dozens of in-house renovation projects each year.
- Provide leadership to advance and monitor progress and quality of campus and capital improvements.
- Supervise Campus Planning staff and delegate projects/assignments.
- Prepare College requests to the University, legislators and donors for annual and long-range capital projects.
- Manage campus renovation and rehabilitation projects in collaboration with Buildings and Grounds managers.
- Communicate with the college community on facilities projects/impact.
- Coordinate implementation of Campus Sustainability Plan.
- Review all in-house and consultant/contract documents (drawings, specifications, budget) related to capital and campus projects.
- Coordinate purchase orders and installation of campus project equipment, furniture, carpeting, etc.
- Serve as liaison to CUNY Central Administration and the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York (DASNY) and other New York City departments and agencies on Capital Budget projects.
- Provide opportunities for staff development to maintain professional skills and incorporate the use of technology in employees' work.
- Monitor and evaluate strategies used to organize and respond to renovation/construction requests by college community.
- Play a lead role in the development of a facilities master plan for the College.
Bachelor's degree in planning, architecture, engineering, or related field and eight (8) years' applicable experience is required.
Bachelor's degree required; Licensed Architect preferred; minimum of eight years experience in Facilities Management, preferably in higher education required.
QCC is looking for a candidate who is highly organized, demonstrates a proactive management style and has a track record of taking direct responsibility for major projects.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate exceptional communications skills, creativity, initiative, and strong self-direction. Experience in a fast-paced, high work volume university environment is a plus.
$68,803 - $106,071; commensurate with experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
How To Apply:
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.