Job ID: 10863
Contract Title: Assistant to HEO
Location: Queensborough Community College
Department: Office of Academy Advisement
Category: Managerial and Professional
Issue Date: June 05 2014
Closing Date: July 05 2014
Review of Resumes to Start: June 19 2014
Provides basic administrative support for the academic counseling program
- Coordinates group student academic counseling and advisement workshops; schedules on-going advisement sessions
- Works with students to resolve academic issues by providing policy information and/or referrals
- Assists with training students, faculty and staff on use of advising technologies
- Conducts workshops for new faculty
- Updates advisement communication materials
- May conduct surveys of student services to evaluate program effectiveness; compiles data to prepare activity reports as needed
- May occasionally offer general academic advisement to students in degree and certificate programs.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Academic Advising Coordinator
Campus Specific Information:
The Queensborough Community College's Office of Academy Advisement consists of five academies by disciplines:
- Business Academy
- Health-Related Sciences Academy
- Liberal Arts Academy (including Education and Criminal Justice)
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Academy
- Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Academy
The Academy Advising Coordinators will report directly to the Director of Academy Advisement and perform these additional duties:
- Assist in the planning of operational policies and procedures for a specific Academy Advisement Center.
- Assist the Academy Advising Specialists and work closely with other Academy Advising Coordinators to provide continual communication and updates to students, staff, administrators, and faculty.
- Assist the Academy Faculty Coordinators with delivery of Academy specific events and activities.
- Assist with planning of the personal delivery of services at all Academy Advisement centers on a daily, weekly, quarterly, and annual basis with focused attention on retention and degree completion objectives.
- Prepare caseload advising activity on a monthly and annual basis and other reports as requested.
- Participate in appropriate campus and external campus activities.
- Maintain and coordinate assigned student caseload on CUNYfirst, DegreeWorks, and Starfish Retention Management Systems under the guidance of Academy Advising Specialist, Academy Advising Associate Director, and/or Academy Advising Director.
- Advise students concerning institutional policy and due process.
- Demonstrate and model the professional employment skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility, and teamwork.
Evening and weekend hours required.
Bachelor's degree required.
- Experience in working with students in higher education setting preferred
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with diverse student populations
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft preferred
- Knowledge of DegreeWorks or compatible Student Degree Audit System
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
How To Apply:
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.