Job ID: 10084
Contract Title: Non-Teaching Adjunct
Location: Queensborough Community College
Department: Foreign Languages And Literatures
Category: Managerial and Professional
Issue Date: January 21 2014
FLSA: Non- exempt
Completes non-teaching projects or complex work in support of a Campus or University administrative or academic department. This work is generally of a temporary nature and requires specialized experience or expertise.
Campus Specific Information:
The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures of Queensborough Community College (CUNY) invites applications for a part-time non-teaching position as Spanish Program Coordinator, beginning January 2014. The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures values pedagogical inquiry and dedication to teaching. There are over 130 languages spoken among our students, reflective of the diverse population of Eastern Queens. We are committed to teaching our diverse student body through innovative language pedagogy such as Service Learning, WI (Writing Intensive), online courses, and learning communities. Our department is composed of seven language programs. For more information, see http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/ForeignLanguages.
Coordinate the Spanish Program:
- Assist the Chairperson in preparing schedules for classes and review final submissions.
- Monitor student enrollment during registration period and recommend adjustments of class offerings accordingly.
- Assist with the assignment of classes to faculty and notify instructors. Assist with the reassignment of classes to faculty in the event of cancellations.
- Participate in the placement of students in Spanish classes.
- Mentor new adjuncts throughout the semester.
- Order and follow up on textbook orders. Distribute desk copies of textbook to faculty.
- Assist with the preparation of syllabi and exams.
- Supervise technological applications of textbooks.
- Assist Chairperson in making arrangements for class coverage when instructors are absent.
- Follow up with faculty for return of final exams.
- Collaborate with the chairperson on all issues related to the Spanish Program.
Bachelor's Degree required.
- M.A. degree in Spanish, Linguistics, or Education with a specialization in the teaching of foreign languages preferred
- Experience teaching undergraduate language courses
- Knowledge of the new trends in language pedagogy and educational technology, including assessment
- Excellent communication skills in English and native or near-native proficiency in Spanish
- Administrative experience in scheduling and placement
- Ability to function effectively in a culturally diverse environment
Spring 2014 workload not to exceed 75 total hours.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
How To Apply:
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.