CUNY Start is an intensive program offered as an alternative to traditional remedial classes. CUNY Start provides instruction in academic reading, writing, and math for college bound students who need to take a skills development course before beginning many credit-bearing courses. The program, which includes integrated academic advisement, is completed in just one semester. By joining CUNY Start, you have the opportunity to complete all remedial needs, prepare for the challenge of college-level work, and save your limited financial aid dollars for credit-bearing courses. The cost of CUNY Start is just $75, and that includes books as well as study materials. For a quick introduction to CUNY Start, watch the video below.
CUNY Start Program Options
All programs include weekly advisement and college success seminars.
Full-Time Math and English Program:
- 25 hours of Reading, Writing and Math instruction per week
- Mondays through Fridays: 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. or 9:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Part-Time Math Program:
- 12 hours of Math instruction per week
- Mondays through Thursdays: 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. OR 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Part-Time English Program:
- 12 hours of Reading/Writing instruction per week
- Monday through Thursday; 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. OR 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. OR 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Sign up for a CUNY Start Information Session
Complete your CUNY Start Application
WHY CHOOSE CUNY START?
Spend less time in remedial classes
Improve your Reading, Writing and Math skills
Have two opportunities to exit from remediation
Save money with $75 tuition for the entire semester
Learn in a supportive, student-centered environment
Work with a CUNY Start Adviser to plan your academic future
Build your college knowledge and skills
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR CUNY START?
To join CUNY Start, you need to:
- Have a high school or high school equivalency diploma
- Be an admitted student at Queensborough Community College
- Have placement results that indicate you need to take one or more remedial courses:
- Full-time Program: You need to take a remedial math course and a remedial English course
- Part-time Math Program: You need to take a remedial math course
- Part-Time English Program: You need to take a remedial English course
- Attend an Information Session, submit a short application, and participate in an interview with a CUNY Start staff member
CUNY Start News
Community College Research Center: Teaching Matters and So Does Curriculum: How CUNY Start Reshaped Instruction for Students Referred to Developmental Mathematics
Inside Higher Ed: CUNY’s Intensive Remedial Ed Semester Showing Success
Freshta Mayar is studying Business Administration at Queensborough Community College and wants to open her own business someday.