Dr. Gopal Subramaniam
Dr. Gopal subramaniam
Office: Science 408
Phone: (718) 631-6939
- Ph. D. (Organic Chemistry) 1990 Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN
- M. Sc. (Chemistry) 1985 I.I.T. Madras, India
- B. Sc. (Chemistry) 1983 University of Madras, India
- Motivate students to do their best.
- Encourage class participation, study groups, and research.
- My lab is interested in applying NMR techniques to the study of characterization and conformation of molecules that are of biological interest. We have examined the interaction of antitumor agents with DNA, conformation of longifolenes, and 3H-1-benzazepines. There is an active collaboration with several organic and biochemists at CUNY.
- A second area of interest to us is chemistry education and preparing teachers for high schools. We look for ways to engage students and assess the effectiveness of various pedagogical strategies.
Honors & Awards
- QC President’s Innovative Teaching Grant, 2005.
- I. I. T. Merit Scholarship (1983-85)
- RYA Tuition Scholarship (1982)
- National Loan Scholarship (1980-1983)
- Keith Ramig, Edyta M. Greer, David J. Szalda, Rabail Razi, Fahima Mahir, Nataliya Pokeza, Wei Wong, Benjamin Kaplan, Joanne Lam, Ayesha Mannan, Christopher Missak, Dat Mai, Gopal Subramaniam, William F. Berkowitz, Prakash Prasad, Sasan Karimi, Ngai Hin Lo, and Linas V. Kudzma (2010) “Experimental and Theoretical Studies of a One-flask Synthesis of 3H-1-Benzazepines from 2-Haloanilines and α,β-Unsaturated Ketones” Eur. J. Org. Chem (in press).
- Sharon I. Lall-Ramnarine, Alejandra Castano, Marie Thomas, Gopal Subramaniam and James F. Wishart (2009) “Synthesis, characterization and radiolytic properties of bis(oxalato)borate containing ionic liquids” Radiat. Phys. Chem., 78, 1120-1125; DOI:10.1016/j.radphyschem.2009.02.007.
- Gopal Subramaniam, Varsha Patel, and Sasan Karimi (2008) “Conformational Analysis of Longifolene” Spectroscopy Letters, 41, 349-353.
- Jun H. Shin, Sabrina Song, Yoomi Kim, and Gopal Subramaniam (2007)”Applying Low Field 13C NMR Spectroscopy to Find the Isoelectric Points of Amino Acids” Chem. Educator 12, 275-278; DOI 10.1333/s00897072059a
- Subramaniam, G., Karimi, S., and Philips, D. (2006) “Solution Conformation of Longifolene and Its Precursor by NMR and ab initio Calculations” Magn. Reson. Chem. 44, 1118-1121.
- Singh, R. D., Liu, Y., Wheatley, C. l., Holicky, E. L., Makino, A., Marks, D. L., Kobayashi, T., Subramaniam, G., Bittman, R., and Pagano, R. E. (2006) “Caveolar endocytosis and microdomain association of a glycosphingolipid analog is dependent on its sphingosine stereochemistry” J. Biol. Chem. 281, 30660-30668.
- Karimi, S., Christodoulou, J., and Subramaniam, G. (2006) “Tandem Favorskii intermediate/cyclization leading to tricycle[18.104.22.168]decandiones” Synthetic Communications 36, 929-934.
- Muthyala, R. S., Subramaniam, G., and Todaro, L. (2004) “The use of squaric acid as a scaffold for cofacial phenyl rings” Org. Lett. 6, 4663-65.
- De Lezaeta, M., Sattar, W., Karimi, S., Svoronos, P., and Subramaniam, G. (2002) “Effect of various acids at different concentrations on the pinacol rearrangement” Tetrahedron Lett. 43, 9307-9.
- Subramaniam, G., Paz, M., Kumar, G. S., Das, A., Palom, Y., Clement, C. C., Patel, D. J., and Tomasz, M. (2001) “Solution Structure of a Guanine-N7-Linked Complex of the Mitomycin C Metabolite 2,7-Diaminomitosene and DNA. Basis of Sequence Selectivity” Biochemistry 40, 10473-84.
- Das, A., Tang, K. S., Gopalakrishnan, S., Waring, M. J., and Tomasz, M. (1999) “Reactivity of guanine at m5CpG steps in DNA: evidence for electronic effects transmitted through the base pairs” Chemistry & Biology 6, 461-71.
- Gopalakrishnan, S., and Patel, D. J. (1993) “Formation and structural features of a sterigmatocystin-formamidopyrimidine adduct at the DNA duplex level” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 115, 9321-2.
- Gopalakrishnan, S., Liu, X., and Patel, D. J. (1992) “Solution structure of the covalent sterigmatocystin-DNA adduct” Biochemistry 31, 10790-801.
- 13. Harris, Thomas M.; Gopalakrishnan, S.; Baertschi, Steven W.; Raney, Kevin D.; Raney, Veronica M.; Byrd, Suzanne; Stone, Michael P. (1991) “Synthesis and characterization of aflatoxin B1 epoxide and its adducts with oligodeoxynucleotides” Pennington Center Nutrition Series, 1(Mycotoxins, Cancer, Health), 142-52.
- Gopalakrishnan, S., Stone, M. P., and Harris, T. M. (1990) “Intercalation of aflatoxin B1 in two oligodeoxynucleotide adducts: comparative proton NMR analysis of d(ATCAFBGAT)×d(ATCGAT) and d(ATAFBGCAT)2” Biochemistry 29, 10438-48.
- Raney, K. D., Gopalakrishnan, S., Byrd, S., Stone, M. P., and Harris, T. M. (1990) “Alteration of the aflatoxin cyclopentenone ring to a d-lactone reduces intercalation with DNA and decreases formation of guanine N7 adducts by aflatoxin epoxides” Chem. Res. Toxicol. 3, 254-61.
- Harris, T. M., Stone, M. P., Gopalakrishnan, S., Baertschi, S. W., Raney, K. D., and Byrd, S. (1989) “Aflatoxin B1 epoxide, the ultimate carcinogenic form of aflatoxin B1: synthesis and reaction with DNA” J. Toxicol. Tox. Rev. 8, 111-20.
- Gopalakrishnan, S., Stone, M. P., and Harris, T. M. (1989) “Preparation and characterization of an aflatoxin B1 adduct with the oligodeoxynucleotide d(ATCGAT)2” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 111, 7232-9.
- Gopalakrishnan, S., Byrd, S., Stone, M. P., and Harris, T. M. (1989) “Carcinogen-nucleic acid interactions: equilibrium binding studies of aflatoxin B1 with the oligodeoxynucleotide d(ATGCAT)2 and with plasmid pBR322 support intercalative association with the B-DNA helix” Biochemistry 28, 726-34.
- Stone, M. P., Gopalakrishnan, S., Harris, T. M., and Graves, D. E. (1988) “Carcinogen-nucleic acid interactions: equilibrium binding studies of aflatoxins B1 and B2 with DNA and the oligodeoxynucleotide d(ATGCAT)2” J. Biomol. Struct. Dyn. 5, 1025-41.
The following abstracts were presented recently at the 238th ACS National meeting in Washington, DC. Our students regularly present at other regional and undergraduate meetings every year.
- Prakash Prasad, Sasan Karimi, Gopal Subramaniam, Keith Ramig (2009) “Synthesis and ring contraction of 1-benzazepines” Abstracts of Papers, 238th ACS National Meeting, Washington, DC, United States, August 16-20.
- Ngai Hin Lo, Hema Bhramdat, Sasan Karimi, Gopal Subramaniam, Keith Ramig (2009) “1H and 13C NMR assignments and conformational studies on 3H-1-benzazepines” Abstracts of Papers, 238th ACS National Meeting, Washington, DC, United States, August 16-20.
- Tayyaba Nasar, Junior Gonzales, Paris Svoronos, Pedro Irigoyen, Jun H. Shin, Gopal Subramaniam (2009) “Microscale freezing point depression measurements: Using van't Hoff factor to study the extent of dissociation” Abstracts of Papers, 238th ACS National Meeting, Washington, DC, United States, August 16-20.
- Junior Gonzales, Thomas Kim, Emily Hughes, Gopal Subramaniam, Jun H. Shin, Paris Svoronos (2009) “Ionization constant of carboxylic acids using low-field NMR” Abstracts of Papers, 238th ACS National Meeting, Washington, DC, United States, August 16-20.