Requirements for Earning Credits
(1) If an internship is done for college credit there are a variety of requirements, which must be met to register for the Cooperative Education Class course at Queensborough Community College. To register for this class you must contact the Faculty Coordinator of the class in the department related to the internship experience you want to receive credit for. This is an “out of the classroom experience,” therefore, someone on campus must be responsible for making sure that you perform the academic hours required to earn college credits. The following are the requirements:
- Minimum G.P.A. varies according to the department related to the internship experience, for example, it can be 2.0, 2.5, 2.7, and 3.0.
- Minimum number of credits overall that usually puts you in your second year, either first or second semester, which also varies according to the department related to the internship experience; for example, 5 credits, 24 credits, and 30 credits.
- Minimum number of prerequisite credits taken in the department varies according to the department related to the internship experience, 5 credits, 12 credits, or 24 credits.
- Hours are required to fulfill the academic requirement to earn college credits toward your degree. A general guide for a part-time internship is 8-15 hours per week, or 90-112.5 hours for the semester for 3 credits. This translates to approximately 30-37.59 hours per credit. You should check with the Faculty Cooperative Education Coordinator of the Cooperative Education Class in your chosen department for more specific information. In the Social Science Department there is a class offered for 6 credits 225 hours in one semester. (If you are a full-time student you should only do a part-time internship. If you are either off for the summer or a part-time student you may do a full-time internship.
- For your Associate Degree you may earn a maximum of six elective credits toward your degree.
- In some departments you may have to be nominated by a faculty member.
(2) An internship that does not require that it be done for college credits can be done anytime by anyone.