Students approaching their final semester may register their intent to graduate using the CUNYfirst system. You will be notified in writing after an official degree audit has been conducted. Please review your home address, telephone number and email to make sure all of your contact information is current.
'Graduation' or 'Conferral of Degree' are synonymous. They refer to the date that the degree is awarded. 'Commencement' is the ceremony which is held once a year, usually in early June, for all graduates and candidates for graduation. Attendance at commencement is not a guarantee of degree conferral. For information about commencement and to RSVP, please check with the department of Student Affairs (Library building, Room 412) or visit Commencement Ceremony @ QCC.
Degrees are awarded three times a year:
- January (For students finishing requirements in the Fall semester of the prior year)
- May (For students finishing requirements during Winter session or Spring semester of the same year)
- August (For students finishing requirements in the Summer session of the same year)
When planning to graduate, be sure you have:
- Earned 60 or more credits toward your degree (by the end of current semester).
- At least 30 credits must be taken on campus and applicable toward your degree.
- Certificates require 30 credits towards the program and at least 15 of those credits must be taken on campus.
- Reviewed your online CUNYfirst Student Advisement Degree Audit by logging into the CUNY portal.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 (overall and toward degree). A 2.75 for Early Childhood Education.
- Satisfactorily completed 2 writing intensive courses.
- Passed the Reading, Writing and Math (or MA-10) exit from Remediation exams if placed in remedial courses.
- If applicable, you must have passed any speech remedial course(s) in which you were placed.
Some degrees contain additional graduation requirements not listed here. For specific graduation requirements in your degree please consult with your academic advisor or review the College catalog for the year you were admitted.
You MUST satisfy the basic requirements above in order to be eligible to graduate.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***
- If you are graduating in May or August and wish for your name to appear in this year's Commencement program, you must register your intent to graduate no later than April 30, 2013.
- Students will be considered for graduation through the official graduation date each semester:
- Summer - August 31
- Fall - January 31
- Spring - Date of Commencement Ceremony (late May or early June)
- If you plan to graduate on May 31, 2013, please register your intent to do so now. Only students finishing all their degree requirements by the end of the Spring semester will be considered for this graduation date.
- Students who plan to graduate in August may register their intent to do so now. Please review your degree requirements in the College catalog and your degree audit in the CUNY Portal. The Registrar's Office will begin reviewing candidates for August 2013 graduation only after the Summer session has begun and registration has ended.
- If you complete your degree requirements during the Winter session, you will be eligible for May graduation.